What X-week program have you run before, and ano yung naging experience nyo?

As per title, ano ung program na ni-run nyo and kamusta ung experience nyo? Programs like Starting Strength, Candito 6-week program, etc.?

Background: Nagsimula ako mag-workout around 2021, and sinundan ko yung Starting Strength progam ni Mark Rippetoe (tinry ko muna ung 5x5 kaso 2 weeks in pa lang miserable na ko) for around 5-6 months.

Nag-switch ako to Greyskull LP after ko ma-sprain ung glutes ko, and natutunan ko kung paano:
  • gumagana ang periodization at auto-regulation
  • mag-warmup para s working set mo, and
  • gumamit ng Excel para i-track ung progress mo.
After 3-4 rounds, nag-switch ako sa Berserk Method once narealize ko na parang kulang na yung accessories and volume. So far 1 cycle pa lang nagawa ko, but so far so good!

Kayo, anong programs ang ni-run nyo and kamusta?

@outsidethebox7331 Had a similar program journey as you - but had fuckarounditis from like 15-19 years old.

Eventually went SS-> Madcow 5x5 -> 5/3/1 BBB -> now running GZCL style The Rippler with the peak week aimed at a powerlifting meet.

Overall I'd recommend 5/3/1 BBB for intermediate/advanced lifters.

It's simple and it works - only downside being that I don't feel it's specialized towards a specific goal.

The Rippler, on the other hand, is absolutely killing me during the shoulder of the peak. AMRAP sets with training max = severe fatigue, especially on a cut

Personally, after I finish The Rippler, I'm gonna dirty bulk and try running nSuns until I tear something or stall too often.

@outsidethebox7331 Not sure yet since I haven't tested my 1RMs - you're not supposed to until after the peak. But I've been able to rep out 100% of my TM on all lifts for 4-5 reps. I'm guessing it'll equate to +10-15lbs on my actual 1RMs when I test them.

@outsidethebox7331 Also started with Starting Strength (5x5). Was able to push good numbers with my squats and deadlifts pero not so good with bench & OHP.

Afterwards, did some program by Vince Del Monte kaso it was not that good. Can't even remember the name.

Then, probably the best so far for me is Average to Savage program. Used that program back 2018/19. Stopped. Then started again just a month ago. Program is really good but it's for powerlifting. It's a 16-week program (periodization is every 4 weeks) wherein weeks 13-16 you can go for either prepping for a meet / powerlifting competition or doing a new PR. Then you can cycle the whole program since it involves hypertropy and work capacity building so most probably at weeks 13-16 you'll hit a new PR agan.

It's also flexible with accessory / supplemental exercises which is good if you want to do extra work to build muscles.

Discusses and guides you sa weak links mo towards the 3 lifts (bench, squats, deadlift) and what exercises to do to address such (helps din on my goal to be a PT). OHP lang walang guide kasi almost same as bench lang naman delts + triceps yung mostly involved (except kay bench may pecs).

You can also do the program kahit twice a week ka lang sa gym or up to 6 times a week. Experience so far is it's really good. Compared to Starting Strength my bench press & OHP is better. Just having a hard time going back to my 1RM squats using Starting Strength dahil sa knee injury due to badminton. Ito yung tipong kahit body weight squats lang sumasakit siya. Though after warm up medyo nag loosen up na yung muscles and kaya nag maglagay ng weight pero still ingat ingat pa rin ako kaya di mabilis progress ng squats ko ngayon compared to Starting Strength. Still I don't think that makes the program not that good. You'll really have good progress with it dahil sa way ng pagkaka-build nung program.

Program is good for beginners up to advance lifters.

Lastly, thanks dun sa mga program na nabanggit niyo. Will check those out.

@nessmisfit No probs, and thank you din sa pagshare ng Average to Savage! One time payment ba sha, or may free template? And by how much nag-increase ung 1RMs mo since nung first time mo i-run ung program?

Nacurious ako dun s portion ng accessory selection, nagre-research ako ngayon kung paano pumili ng accessories and paano sila i-progress sa training block. And good luck on your knee rehab and becoming a PT!

@outsidethebox7331 One-time payment lang naman siya.

What I like is yung gumawa ng program really reads and analysis researches. Until now he is doing write ups on researches. So with good backing ng science yung pag gawa niya ng program.

Simple approach lang siya sa accessory since leaning towards powerlifting yung program. Accessory depends on weak links sa main lifts.

Example, in bench press

weak at initiating the lift from chest to starting position means weak front delts so front delt exercises since mostly front delts ang muscles used sa pag initiate ng pressing movement from chest to starting position. So exercises like reverse grip bench press, include DB/BB press, front delt raises would help.

weak at mid point to starting position means weak pecs and/or triceps to typical press exercise (DB press, dips, elevated push ups [for more ROM])

weak at lockout means weak triceps. So disp, skull crushers, OH tricep extension, etc.

Though to make it simple - weak off the chest (front delt exercise), weak at mid to lockout (flat DB press since this also improves triceps)

Ang typical structure nung program is

main lift + accessory / supplemental lift based on weak link on other main lift

So kung Squat day mo ngayon

Main Lift = Squat

Accessory / Supplemental Lift for Deadlift

Additional accessory lift depends on the individual. Pero since gearing towards powerlifting siya towards weeks 9-12 and/or 13-16 probably magbabawas ka accessory lift since you're nearly doing 100% of 1RM. So ang focus is completing the main lift to either prep for new PR / 1 RM or prep for powerlifting meet. You can even remove the accessory lift on weak links / muscles to focus on main lift only.

Yung buong structure is

Weeks 1 - 4 = muscle & work capacity building. Peaking at 80% of 1RM

Weeks 5 - 8 = muscle & work capacity building. But lesser reps. Peaking at 85% of 1 RM

Weeks 9 - 12 = low volume. transition to 1RM / powerlifting meet. Peaking at 90% of 1RM

Weeks 13 - 16 = 2 options. Either (1) off-season / new PR or (2) prep for meet

Cycle again. That's why I like the program since the logic is good since the cycle works on building muscles & work capacity first while slowly transitioning to powerlifting. So most probably, you'll hit new PRs every 16 weeks.