Whats your normal rep drop off between sets? Does it change for each exercise? Interested to hear if this varies for different people

For example, hitting 10 reps on a first set, then 9, then 8; I saw someone once say that when they see such small rep drop-offs, they question whether the first set/few sets were hard enough. I personally notice that if I truly push to absolute failure (i.e. really leave nothing in the tank), on the next set I'll at least drop off by 2 reps, sometimes as much as 4-5. However if I leave a bit in the tank such as in a lower RPE week, I can usually only drop off by 1 rep between sets. What do you guys find? Can you maintain within a single rep each time? Or do you get bigger drop offs?

@lovely_krystal86 I get bigger drop-offs the harder I go on the set. Say my first set was failure+partials and I got 10, next one maybe 7,8 at best.

Something like this

1 RIR I can match the last set

Failure or 0 rir maybe I lose 1 or 2 reps next set

Failure+intensity techniques I can lose 3+ reps especially on heavier compounds like squats.

@freyrtheslayerwolfe Yes, totally the same for me. I've been developing a spreadsheet that calculates everything for me, even negating the bar weight (if there is one) and splitting the remaining weight in 2 as a guide for what weight to put on each side. I liked the consistency of it and added more and more features. Got to adding a fatigue management column which knocks off a percentage as the sets went on but it just doesn't really work. People that have been gyming for a while seem to be able to just figure it out as they go but there's no way I could. My brain just doesn't function when all the blood is in my triceps xD

@lovely_krystal86 I usually experience a bigger drop-off after the first set with smaller subsequent drop-offs. For example: 16, 13, 12, 11.

I think it mostly varies between compounds and isolations, with isolationd having bigger drop-offs in reps. Because you inherently need to rest longer on compounds to get the cardio recovered it gives your target muscle more time to recover as well.

@lovely_krystal86 This is something that really worried me at first, like I thought something might be wrong with me cos I’d do 12 then 11, then 9 reps. I like pushing to failure on every set so my solution has been reverse pyramids. First set 8-10 reps, drop 10% of the weight then 10-12 reps, drop another 10% and do 12-15 reps. 2 min rests.

Seen good progress.

@lishanaidoo Hi science here. You get to lift the most weight when you are at your strongest. Easier to track your progress this way since your first set is the one that really count. You have to warm up before of course.

@lishanaidoo I dont know what's the warm up routine you talking about but what i do is an easy set, a médium set then a working set and pyramid up. Warm up as much as you need as long as it doesnt affect your performance on set 1. On follow up exercice i warm up only 1 set.

Back