When I exercise, I don’t lose weight. But when I stop exercising and just eat less, I lose weight

@woollybear Yes me too.. also water retention after lifting and drinking lots of water. What worked for me was changing a lifestyle in general. So if I eat more then it will be whole food which will not cause much weight gain.

@woollybear You have to build up the muscle and then cut to lean out if you want that lean tone physique. That means eating at a surplus and then going in to a deficit to see what you built. You are gonna have to be ok with the scale fluctuating too. The scale is not a great metric at all for someone in a body recomp phase because you could be burning fat and building muscle at the same time and the scale may not move at all or it may go up higher some days and dip down others etc.

@woollybear I feel this post in my bones and I don’t care what the science or anybody says! It’s bloody true. I have the exact same experience.

I think what gave some balance was for me to do 60% light cardio (slow jog, elliptical), 20% pilates/yoga, 20% strength training with low weights and high reps.

The stress hormones from high intensity stuff do make you feel hungrier and it’s a lot harder to maintain a good diet.

@woollybear Because you’re likely burning valuable muscle and not fat, your fat % goes each time you do this. Not a good trade off. It reduces your metabolism, so over time you’ll require fewer and fewer calories to maintain. Focus on adding muscle to whatever composition you have right now. The scale may read heavier, but you’ll look better because your lean muscle % is higher. I know this is not the answer you want.

@woollybear Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat: a pound is a pound. A pound of muscle takes up less ***room*** than a pound of fat because it’s denser. So if you lose a pound of fat, but gain two pounds of muscle, the scale will read more, but you’ll look more toned (and maybe look smaller).