Which documentaries or videos helped motivate you greatly in taking health/fitness seriously?

@ananymous This is mine as well. Dr. Now is a gem! Every time I would see someone who is 600lbs walking outside of their house, I would think to myself “if their legs can carry 600lbs, then my legs can squat X amount of weight…” 😂

@savedsue Not really what you're asking for, but I actually find older people to be the best inspo. Seeing people in their 60s and up still be active and capable as a part of their daily life is so encouraging. Someone I know in his 70s just casually goes for long ass bike rides because it's a hobby, and shows no signs of slowing down. I would never have guess he was 70+ because he's so spry and looks much younger (genetics is obviously a big part of that, but so is exercise.

Conversely, older people who have obviously been inactive and can't take care of themselves very well are inspiring for a different reason.

Again, a little off topic, but it's a major source of motivation for me.

@pasifika I am a nurse and seeing the difference between active and inactive older people (particularly in how they recover from surgery) is wild. It certainly motivates me to be active.

@pasifika Yep, definitely older people.

All my grandparents are Greek immigrants, meaning that whenever you tell them to sit down and relax they go "nah" and keep fiddling with stuff. Carpentry, intense cooking, sewing, etc. They didn't go to the gym, but they work/ed in the garden every summer and kept active and busy and their diets are based around veggies.

I still have 3/4 of my grandparents. 2 are slowing down now in their late 80s. 3 cancers took one pappou 10 years ago when he was 80. My great grandparents were kicking until their mid to late 90s.

My boyfriend, who comes from what I call an "extra white", very Canadian family, and they sure eat like it...well... All his grandparents but 1 died in their 50s or early 60s. His parents are around 65 now, his mother's had knee replacement surgery, and his father has already had a heart attack in his 50s (but is now quite fit from working at a golf course in his retirement).

Genetics are both on my side and not (Hashimoto's) but I intend to be full of hustle and bustle into my 80s.

@pasifika Seeing my parents and in-laws and their friends who are late 50s to late 60s stresses me out. So many of them are unable to walk around the block without pain. My mom is relatively healthy at 67 but has had knee issues her whole life that have limited her ability to exercise and she gets fatigued so easily and hates it. Not feeling physically capable already when I have 20-30 years left of my life is a really stressful idea and I am incredibly happy I found a passion for lifting in my mid-20s that I really can’t imagine giving up.

@pasifika I joined a FB group for women hikers/backpackers over 40. It's incredibly inspiring and motivating seeing people a couple decades older than I am (43) out there hiking places like Half Dome or going on solo backpacking trips. There's also quite a few retired women in our local groups that are rocking it. One time we had just finished a hike and I was looking forward to going home and soaking in an Epsom salt bath, meanwhile these ladies were chatting about the 10 mile hike they were doing the next day lol. I told them I wanted to be them when I grew up:)

@savedsue How Not to Die by Michael Greger is great for dietary motivations to eat your fruits and veggies

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker will make you consider actually prioritising sleep - it's one area I feel like a lot of people neglect a little, but your body does all it's best repairing and rebuilding when you're sleeping

They're both books but there's audio versions

@polcat Thanks for the book recs!

That’s so true, sleep isn’t taken seriously enough! I’ve been working on it lately and I really find that getting some sunlight in early and avoiding electronics (even from my kindle, because it can feel like reading paper) 1hour before bedtime helps me to naturally shift my day earlier and get in more sleep hours.

For those that are interested, the Andrew Huberman podcast has many videos about science-backed sleep tips on YouTube (just be cautious with any nutrition recommendations you hear from him). Also don’t worry if you see they’re long, oftentimes commenters post their “notes” from it lol