which is more effective?

shieldy

I have an elliptical trainer at home and recently i’ve started using it more often.

I used to jog on the lowest/2nd lowest setting for like 30 minutes. Not only was it very boring, but the elliptical was telling me I was burning an obscurely low amount of calories.

So one I decided to try putting it on the highest setting (15) and just walking. This seemed to burn calories a lot quicker.

I know what what the machines show is often very inaccurate, so I was wondering if I could get advice from anyone who actually know something about this subject (since I don’t lol).

What would you say is more effective (in burning calories): jogging (at around 13-14 km/h) on a low setting or walking (4-5 km/h) at the highest setting?

@shieldy Elliptical machines overestimate the calories you burn. In fact every gym machine does. If you want to burn calories work up to stairmaster or running. Jogging only burns roughly 100 calories a mile.

Use the elliptical to build up your cardiovascular endurance. You should always push how long you can continuously do it.

Do the one that makes you sweat more and breathe harder. Go off of how you feel rather than some number produced by an algorithm that misleads the exerciser.

using the elliptical at a higher resistance setting while walking can actually be more effective for burning calories than jogging at a low setting.

higher resistance increases the effort your muscles need to exert, leading to more calorie burn.

if it feels challenging and sustainable, stick with the higher setting.

note that the most important thing is consistency and finding a routine that you enjoy and can maintain.

@shieldy Whatever you will do most consistently will burn the most calories overall.

Really though, in my opinion, exercise should be more focused on the adaptation it causes in our bodies rather than the calorie burn. So, if you are looking for improved endurance, the high setting would be more effective. If you are looking to reduce body fat, a slower setting might work better for you. Either way, nutrition is a crucial aspect of fitness, and where the bulk of calorie control should come from. 😎

Back