Why Asians are overweight/obese at lower BMIs

godisveryreal

In response to a now locked post, whose OP is an Asian teen, I wanted to address the comments regarding the lower BMI cutoffs for overweight and obese for Asian and Pacific Islanders compared to the cutoffs used for other races. At a BMI of 26 the OP was considered obese, though by American standards she would just barely be in the overweight category.

I just wanted to shed light on the fact that the reason that BMI cutoffs are lower for Asians is because Asian people are more likely to develop weight-related health problems at the same BMIs as other races, and Asian people begin to develop weight-relatef health problems at lower BMIs compared to other races..

So the recommendations of @wt15’s doctor are not “toxic Asian beauty standards”- there are medical reasons for the lower cutoffs. And when someone is overweight or obese, early treatment is always recommended- even in the US where obesity is common, the medical community has recently begun recommending earlier, more aggressive approaches for the treatment of childhood obesity compared to previous recommendations.

Tl;dr, Asian people develop health problems at lower BMIs vs other races, so the BMI cutoffs are lower. OP’s doctor wasn’t perpetuating “toxic beauty standards” but was caring for OP’s health using sound medical guidance.

@godisveryreal Thank you for making a follow up post clarifying the BMI cut offs in asian countries! I honestly did not expect the comments I was getting on my post since I only wanted to share my weight loss and I didn’t know what to say or do because I just wrote down what my doctor had told me 😓

@wt15 I saw your post and you did right. Your doctor was right as well because I had a similar diagnosis. I was also 63kg when my doctor told me I can’t continue this way. It was making my PCOS worse and if I were to continue, there will be a high chance of me developing diabetes in future. Of course BMI isn’t the only tool used, he also look at my physical appearance and asked about my diet and exercise

I’m also Chinese btw and we do develop diabetes more easily even at lower rates of obesity. Later I went to an endocrinologist who did blood tests and was proven to be right. I changed my entire lifestyle then.

@meteorstorm I heard that we (Asian) prob die before we become really obese like some obese ppl in western culture. We get too many problem before reach to that size.
But culture too. I will be called slim girl being 5”3 110-115lb in USA. In Asia it’s average size, and there is room for me to lose more weight. I be called chubby between 125-135 lb. Some sick guy told me I can lose 20lb more when I was 110lb. This never happened in USA.

@kjbbeliever Asian (specifically Chinese, here) as well and I know what you're talking about in terms of the differences in size perception between Asia and US. I think that the pressure to be smaller in Asia is mostly due to beauty standards rather than for health reasons because there are health problems that are associated with have too low weight as well as too high of weight. For example, being an Asian woman is a risk factor for developing osteoporosis because of low BMI (thin frame, less bone mass), low calcium intake since like 90+% of us are lactose-intolerant, and lack of weight-bearing exercise (culturally, women don't do any heavy-lifting exercise). Anyway, I think that losing weight isn't the most important thing, but at some point, you need the protective benefits of weight-bearing exercise.

@penny7 Glad I am more westernized when it come to body beauty standard.
That’s true Asian we have much small frame. I personally think I have wide rib and larger shoulder for Asian, but if I stand next to another ethnic person my bone structure is still small.

@kjbbeliever hmm so interesting. as an asian american, i feel 130 is okay and i want the body fat but might lose some depending. though i understand the 110-130 is a healthy range for my 5"2. my goal is 125-130. and i will see if strength will help me. tone or change the body fat .

PCOS can come from too much exercise. & strenuous activity. but being 110 115 120 is good. i think anything less that 110 for 5"3 is too low!!! =/

@vwprincessuk I highly recommend weight training. I don’t do any cardio but my body look completely different at same weight 130lb with muscle VS 130lb when I had no muscle. Also you can eat more calorie when you have muscle

@wt15 You did absolutely nothing wrong, and I’m sorry you were made to feel that way. The vast majority of people in the US are grossly overweight but unfortunately that’s become the norm (before anyone throws shade at me, I was born and raised in the good ole USA, but I’m not blind. Being overweight or obese has become the standard here, it’s incredibly unhealthy). You look great and I’m happy for you, congratulations on getting healthy!

@godisveryreal I found out about the cutoff the hard way. 😬
I’m East Asian as well and have had issues with my weight before. As a kid I hated exercise but I did love food and veggies so I was able to hold off serious weight related problems for most part. Though university was a different story. I pretty much never exercised and dined out too often until I started having pains which ended up being gallstones. I didn’t register that something was seriously wrong with me until I finally had to visit the ER because I began vomiting on top of having pain.

@godisveryreal Thank you for posting! I am 30F, Asian, 5'1", and had a prediabetes diagnosis at 135 lbs. My body fat % was over 35%. I felt complacent because I was small by Caucasian standards, but it's no joke when your health is on the line.

I agree with the info that you've posted based on my personal experience.

@dawn16 same here! i'm also a 5'3" asian woman, and i was told by my doctor (who is also an asian woman) that if i stayed at 130 lbs, i would be at very high risk for diabetes given my family history too.

@chubbycupid this is my sign to go to the doctor now. this thread is so eye opening. i’ve been fairly healthy and considered “normal” my whole life but my BMI is not that great if we’re talking asian standards now! and some family members do have type 2 diabetes too even though they’re FAR from obese (based on my american standards).

i haven’t had a check up in ages so thank you, thread!

Back