Workouts for REALLY weak woman?

@belindad If you seek out beginner classes - not classes that work for any level, but intro/beginner classes specifically - you may be able to avoid this. While all yoga classes can work for beginners with modifications and breaks, it's hard to incorporate those things when you're new. But if you can find a way to safely incorporate yoga early in your fitness program, it could really help with form no matter what you do - plus help with muscle tightness, injury, etc.

If you do start yoga, the most important thing to remember is to trust what you're body is telling you and don't try to match others in the class. If a movement feels wrong, stop - resting in child's pose is a really important part of any yoga class. Most yoga teachers will be super supportive of that - and if they aren't, stop going to their class.

@belindad If you seek out beginner classes - not classes that work for any level, but intro/beginner classes specifically - you may be able to avoid this. While all yoga classes can work for beginners with modifications and breaks, it's hard to incorporate those things when you're new. But if you can find a way to safely incorporate yoga early in your fitness program, it could really help with form no matter what you do - plus help with muscle tightness, injury, etc.

If you do start yoga, the most important thing to remember is to trust what you're body is telling you and don't try to match others in the class. If a movement feels wrong, stop - resting in child's pose is a really important part of any yoga class. Most yoga teachers will be super supportive of that - and if they aren't, stop going to their class.

@belindad I was careful to word it with an instructor for that reason. Many people start by popping a dvd on and getting hurt. There are many yoga teachers that have little to no anatomy training. When I got my cert nearly half of the 200 hours was spent learning anatomy.
Beginner classes and poses are less likely to cause injury but anything is possible.

@belindad Agree! I thought yoga was the low intensity “relaxing” activity of the fitness world. So it was the first thing I tried. It was hard, it was frustrating, painful, exhausting, etc. Not only was I hurt physically, but I felt so far left behind that I completely abandoned my fitness goals for a while.

C25k cardio has been the ONLY thing that’s managed to foster a love for fitness for me. Now I’m a gym rat and I run 3mi every other day. I hope to get back into yoga sometime soon, but I learned my lesson.

That shit is NOT beginner friendly.

@anon103 Seconded. I was weak AF, could walk a long ways but that was about it. Running for a minute made me feel like I was going to pass out.

I did C25K this spring and then built up a solid base of running 3 miles 3x/week, then trained for a half marathon. I ran my first one two weeks ago--didn't break any speed records, but I ran 13.1 goddamn miles so who cares. Never in a million years would I have imagined I could do that! C25K seriously works.

@anon103 I have asthma and was always a bad runner until I tried c25k. Now I can run 5k comfortably without using my inhaler, and I've been able to get up to 10k. The program gives you structure to push yourself juuuust a bit more each week. It was easier for me to stick to that program vs trying on my own and either not pushing enough or taking on too much. But it's also more than okay to repeat weeks until you feel comfortable moving on. OP, if you can run for about a minute you're in a good position to try c25k. Run slow and keep trying.

@anon103 I second this! I started running right after I quit smoking and it was nearly impossible to run for a minute at a time, especially after I'd done a few run/walk intervals. But you gotta start somewhere! The timing of one minute isn't that important. Being able to listen to your body is what matters. So like run til you're starting to get out of breath, then walk until you feel able to run again. Pushing yourself a little bit at a time will start getting easier, and then you'll find you can go longer. I also like the brisk walk suggestion. I love running, but it's a hobby for me. Walking is hella good for you.

Back