Workouts for REALLY weak woman?

@lonelyhorse Once I was diagnosed I went gluten free (ugh), did 4 months of iron iv treatments to fix the anemia, took supplements for other vitamins and minerals for like a year until all my levels were normal. For building strength I started doing little things like walking more, then I got back into ice skating, started playing hockey, promptly overdid it on my knees and did a few months of physical therapy, recently got into barre which has been awesome for my goals. Will probably start lifting once the gym at work opens.

Could be, but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a lower BMI also a risk factor for anemia?

It's normal for someone who doesn't work out to be weak, but perhaps not to the degree that she describes.

I was 176cm and 115-120lbs and did just fine exercising when my RBC and iron were normal, and I was 176cm and 128lbs when I gave blood and my iron and RBCs dropped too much.

I would have to google it to find out, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re linked. I was just comparing her to myself, I’m really similar in size to her but I carry a lot of muscle mass so I’m not strong but I don’t have the same exertion issue.

Ah ok. I don't have a lot of muscle but to me weakness feels very different from exertion, which is why I wanted to offer a different suggestion. Everyone's advice on how to start exercising gradually is already great and I had nothing to add in that respect :p

My weakness means that I can't work out too intensively without getting tired, and that for strength training I need to use lighter weights. Exhaustion meant that I couldn't work out at all, even after lowering my weights even more than my baseline. Any movement made me super tired, and cardio was completely out of the question. Even walking made me feel kinda out of breath.

@dianad373 Start with walking every day, then speed walking, then light jogging for 30 sec spurts when you feel comfortable, then extended light jogging (build up to it in short increments!). If you really want to run, then build it up to it. Take rest days. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t reach a goal or lapse for a day, just try again the next day. Listen to your body and go at your own pace.

Alternatively, walking/jogging/running might not be for you! Try biking or doing some body weight exercises, or even just dancing. As long as you move your body and engage some muscles, you’re exercising.

Look for opportunities to move more in everyday life as well. Do you need to go somewhere and you can walk to it in 30 min or less? Walk. Are you waiting for the elevator? Sway side to side, lift your arms, do a squat. Going up 5 or fewer floors? Take the stairs! Sitting at your desk? Flex your core, tap your feet, get up every five minutes to walk around the room or grab some water. These little things WILL add up for you.

Make it a habit and you’ll go from very weak to surprisingly not-as-weak.

@dianad373 Run slower. So slow it looks like a jog. Maybe even slower. Jog. Walk.

Do bodyweight squats. Counter pushups. Knee planks. Bird dogs. Deadbugs. Do exercises using no weight or 1/2lb weights. Try this video for your core

Be consistent and patient. Even if you're sore, it's okay to workout. It can actually make it better. Try beginner yoga too

@dianad373 BRISK Walking. The best way to build endurance is with sub-maximal effort.

Find a speed you can maintain for at least a half hour. Walk briskly 3x/week.

@dawn16 I feel you, I have fibromyalgia and definitely needed to start bottom of the curb. Lifting 5lbs weights at the moment and not planning to move up for a while still.

Running around 3.5km right now but I started over a year ago with 30s intervals.

@dawn16 If 1lbs is all you can lift, then that's simply the appropriate weight to train with.

No shame in recognizing where you are, so long as you're fighting to go further.

@mooon Before I got sick I could lift 85lbs. Not that great for a lady I guess but it is what it is. Now I'm lifting 15 and taking it easy.

Back