worried about pelvic floor strength

maksik288

k so I recently read an article assuring me that my vagina won’t fall out during deadlifts but have been suddenly terrified of it ever since. I’m in my 30s and the more older women I meet the more I’m realizing that older ladies are just pissing themselves 24/7. like wearing diapers and shit for “dribbles”. I’ve noticed this past few months that when I curl or deadlift v hard I sometimes pee a teeeeeny tiny bit so I’ve tried to start doing kegels but it sucks so much and I tend to forget. I do valsalva when I’m deadlifting and try to kegel while doing that but it’s so hard to maintain through the lift. Now I’m so nervous about it I can’t focus on my form and it’s fucking with me. Help?

@maksik288 I had the same issues and then I discovered Hypopressives - a pretty new technique that really sorts out your pelvic floor. It helps improve the resting tone of the pelvic floor, as well as the competence of the core canister, to absorb an increase in intra abdominal pressure at sudden times of increased pressure - sneezing, coughing, running, or deadlifting. Highly recommend Simone at https://re-centre.co.uk/

@maksik288 Some things to point out here:

- Pregnancy and childbirth will have put a major strain on your pelvic floor muscles, but an increase in body weight can make this even worse.

- Menopause usually starts when you are in your late forties or early fifties, however in some cases it can happen earlier or later than this. As the body starts to produce less oestrogen, many women find themselves putting on weight much easier than when in their 30ies. In fact, fat mass can increase as much as 44% during menopause. When a person has a higher Body Mass Index (BMI) of 26 or above, their pelvic floor has a consistently heavier load to support. Body fat presses down on the bladder and bowel and can result in difficulty controlling the release of urine, faeces or wind.

- Skeletal muscle atrophy and associated weakness are inevitable as we age, and the pelvic floor muscles are no exception. Once you reach 40, you ‘ll lose as much as 5 percent of your muscle per decade. This decreased strength and muscle mass is related to myriad pelvic floor dysfunctions, including stress UI, pelvic organ prolapse, faecal incontinence and sexual dysfunction.

https://40nowwhat.co/pelvic-floor-in-your-40s-and-beyond/

@maksik288 See a pelvic floor therapist. Kegels can exacerbate this especially if doing them wrong, which I was. I’ve had three kiddos (a set of twins included) and use to struggle with a weak pelvic floor and sometimes peeing.

Not any more. Not saying it can be resolved for everyone, but it was for me.

@maksik288 After I had my baby,I went to a Pilates studio that specialized in pelvic floor strengthening as well as postpartum yoga. Both of them helped a lot.

@maksik288 Look up Julie Wiebe. A PT with this specialty. I just bought an online program (like a webinar, with "homework") from her. It's more than just kegals, also core. And not just strength (in pelvic floor or core) but activating and integrating the pieces together.

@maksik288 I used to pee myself all the time working out (30, no kids), especially when it came to jumping in my HIIT classes. It’s common for women to pee themselves buts it’s in NO WAY normal. I also have herniated discs in my low back so I just have posterior chain dysfunction all around.

I saw a pelvic floor physical therapist which helped tremendously. Kegels are important, but you also need to be doing deep squats to ensure your pelvic floor is flexible. I also cannot recommend reformer Pilates enough. My chiropractor begged me to take it up and I’m so glad I did. That shit will work your cooch like nothing else. I take classes from a weightlifting instructor who has done Pilates for years and knows the important of cross training. You may want to do a few private sessions at a studio so the instructor can see your how your body moves and identify where the dysfunction may be coming from. For me, my hamstrings/glutes/PF/lats were too weak or not activiating to support my weightlifting so my lower back kept taking over.

Edited for clarity

@maksik288 There’s various silicone weights you can buy to exercise your pelvic floor too! I got a set that goes up in weight as your muscles strengthen and is able to hold the lighter weights. I guess it’s similar to a jade egg but it has a string on it so it’s easy to remove.

I started doing it to enhance my (and husband’s lol) pleasure during sex, but it’s nice to know it’s healthy too :)

There’s a bunch on amazon. Check out the reviews before buying!

@brandice I will second this! I had a kidney transplant and it really messed with my pelvic floor strength for a bit! I bought a set of kegel weights and my problems have been solved! It is also cheaper than going to a PT

@maksik288 My large babies destroyed my pelvic floor (4th degree tear, don't Google if you want to eat breakfast).

Weightlifting has been a miracle for recovery and saved my body/sanity. I can do everything now again with very little issues. I am not 100% but I also had much worse damage than most.

Heavy squats, deadlifts, hiking... It's been a lifesaver. I'm in my mid 30s and fitter than ever.

@maksik288 Another big vote for pelvic floor PT! I have three kids, none of whom were born by C-section, and no problems with incontinence. I seem to be in the minority, though, based on general statistics and anecdotally among my friends. I saw a pelvic floor PT for a check up of sorts, after I'd had my kids and turned 40.

I *completely* agree with PP who said that we don't have to pee ourselves, because we don't; or, there are many things we can try to help us not. Some people do have significant pelvic floor problems, but there are things you can do.

What was impressed upon me the most is that pelvic floor issues, such as urinary incontinence, are not inevitable and they are not "normal." They may be common, but they are not healthy. Please go see a pelvic floor PT: it's worth it. Good luck!

@loriegodsglory
no problems with incontinence. I seem to be in the minority, though, based on general statistics and anecdotally among my friends

Right - and I think it's important to point out that the majority of moms 30-40+ do not do any sort of movement training (let alone lifting). Our peers have given up (no thanks).

While pelvic incontinence us common among our peers, it's also just as common to neglect pelvic/fitness health and strength work, the real problem.

@chrisb76 I completely agree: there is so little attention paid to this issue generally, and that's not good. Prevention is critical, as the pelvic floor PT I saw said. I honestly think the countless squats I've done over the years has helped a lot, even if it wasn't done with my pelvic floor in mind. And I built the exercise habit in my early teens, which has served me so well now as a nearly 42 year old mom. I just haven't stopped (outside of injuries and certain parts of pregnancy/postpartum, when I really needed to stopped), and that has made a difference.

@maksik288 45 years old here. No pelvic floor issues. I don’t do anything specific to strengthen pelvic floor: I just lift heavy stuff and put it down again, with good form.

I suspect the women you speak with either have a) very little fitness and/or b) recently gave birth and/or c) genetic predisposition to bladder incontinence and/or d) make little effort to get the problem fixed.

Unless you fit one of those categories then it’s highly unlikely you’ll suffer dribbling.

Back