Worried about rhabdo: After 69 days of CF my TOTAL CPK is 370 U/L

mignonvds

Is it a safe U/L?

I worry about rhabdomyolysis.

My sedentary self had a TOTAL CPK of 211 U/L in 20 September 2016.

Per laboratory where my blood was drawn & tested the reference range is 0.0-171.0

My bootcamp plan is 10x every 30 days at less than 60 min. I normally do a scaled down version of the workout and finish 50%.

Currently 251lbs at 5'8". I was 265lbs when I started 19 April 2017.

I am eating clean and following a DASH diet when it comes to of oil/fat and salt quantities.

Visiting my cardiologist next week for an overdue consultation and for this.

@mignonvds We're not doctors. Your best bet is to wait until your consult next week to get a better idea, especially if the lab says that at sedentary levels you were high.

Wait for the professional opinion, not the randos here.

@jonjones229 Doctor here: I think that number is fine.... But just know your limitations. Ive seen CPKs as high as 400,000. Ive admitted much lower, but usually comes with muscle aches and pains along with other issues. You might have some other issues going on. Look up side effects of Myositis along with Rhabo, and when you see or feel them, STOP. Also agree with talking to MD as well before working though if that is soon.

Other labs would be worth while as well.

@kyle713 Thank you Doc. When I am too out of breath I just plain pause then when I feel more sorted out start again.

Unlike others in my box I just want to get winded and not train for intra-box competition or inter-box competition. I am even thinking of pushing back my foundations class from January to April next year.

@mignonvds Some how I wasn't logged in, until now to see this. I don't think you need to postpone your foundations class.

The more important thing is for you to listen to your body and push it where it needs to go,

I love XF, however coaches and other members will push you hard (Which is a good thing) but only when you are ready. Don't go to heavy with weights, and start to feel comfortable with the classes and how it will affect your body.

Most gyms wil scale the workout for you already. Start at the lightest and easiest. Once you are finishing workouts and feeling better about how much to push and when to do it, is when you should move up in weights.

Hope this helps.

Also to note, there is never a good time to start XF. people say that you need to get in shape before XF, but then you end up doing nothing for months when you could already be there a few times a week. A mistake I made when I started as well. Just get in there, have fun, meet people, and hope to lost some LBs along the way!

@kyle713
Some how I wasn't logged in, until now to see this. I don't think you need to postpone your foundations class.

I am currently 240lbs/109kg, cardiologist wants me to take it easy because my joints may not be able to handle XF at that weight.

I will consider doing foundations when I am 26kg lighter on the first week of January 2018.

@kyle713
26kg is close to 60lbs...I wish you the best... just get out there and start working out! all will fall into place.

Thanks! :) I am rather proud of my blood test! :) I will strive for an "ideal" blood test by 26 October 2017. 120 days after my exam.

@mignonvds From wikipedia:
"This enzyme is released by damaged muscle, and levels above 1000 U/L (5 times the upper limit of normal (ULN)) indicate rhabdomyolysis.[5] More than 5,000 U/L indicates severe disease but depending on the extent of the rhabdomyolysis, concentrations up to 100,000 U/l are not unusual."

So no... it's extremely unlikely that you do. Rhabdo is usually caused by acute muscle damage rather than a gradual process...

@mignonvds i had rhabdo back in jan 2015, and my cpk was close to 100,000 for a few days..
they dismissed me when i got down to like 15k...

people that workout regularly tend to have higher than normal range. i'd say anything lower than 500 is negligible, but alas, i'm not a doctor and don't play one on the internet.

if you want to read more about my story: http://www.woduniversity.com/rhabdo

@mignonvds Not a doctor but a medical professional. I've worked critical care for 10 years and sometimes we see elevated CPK even sedentary with patients that have Lupus. Not saying you have it but did you get other labs drawn to cover a spectrum?

@mignonvds Are you working with a coach? Do you have any thyroid problems? It's important to inform the coach of any thyroid issues because they increase your risk of rhabdo. If you're concerned, don't do high intensity, do functional movements, eat really healthy, and get your body into better shape before you get into a high intensity program.

@noname5137 Yes I do, I shared my 2016 and 2017 blood work with my coach. She told me to watch my liver and sugar and see my doctor.

I've been largely eating clean. This is my weekly meal prep. Not paleo though so please be nice. ;)

It allowed me to have cholesterol of less than 151mg/DL, HDL of more than 41mg/dL and LDL of less than 100mg/dL. Triglycerides is less than 105mg/dL. Although I am known to cheat intensively. For the next 3 months though I will be cutting down on the cheating too.

As far as I know I do not have thyroid issues. I will have it checked in the next blood exam.

@brokenandconfused
Curious: how often do you run your bloodwork and why?

I should do it every 90, 120, 180 or 360 days a year.

The weird timing has to do with my irrational fear of needles. Both exams were done to check for unrelated illness that may need antibiotics. So I ask the doctor if instead do a complete blood work so I only get pricked once.

Because I am too fat my veins tend to be shy to be pricked for a blood extraction. So they have to prick me a few times with no blood to show for. This time they only had to prick once. [sup]_^[/sup]