Zone 2 on Echo bike

lovejustice

Hello, I've only got access to an Echo bike and tried to get do a Zone 2 workout. See screenshot of HR monitor. Max HR is 183 bpm (Based on age and I've hit 173 bpm max before on a Crossfit WOD, so assume that's a decent estimate). It was done at a fairly consistent power output, and perception-wise barely able to have a conversation at this effort level.

Not sure why I have a big spike at around 14:00min but after I got to 135 bpm I had to reduce power to not go above 140 bpm. HR is on a Polar Ignite wrist-based watch (heard its not super accurate).

From what I've read, Zone 2 is tough to get right on a Echo bike relative to a C2 bike for e.g. but does this session look like a Zone 2?

I assumed if I hit the perception based effort goal without going over 140 bpm for 50 min I should be good for a Zone 2 workout?

Any comments or training advice for doing Zone 2 would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT : I know the graph indicates Z3. I don't know why Polar Fitness do this. For my 183 bpm max and 54 bpm resting, most online calculators seem to indicate Z2 around 130-145 bpm. So numbers-wise I thought this was Z2.

https://preview.redd.it/tjq6t0t6y5i...bp&s=35ebe2e11acd0f8091879f526509c15d191a1240

@drounak I saw that, I think its the Polar Flow site that's doing the calculation wrong? For a 183 bpm max and 54 bpm resting, most online calculators seem to indicate Z2 around 130-145 bpm. So numbers-wise I thought this was Z2. Otherwise Z2 would be a super light workout.

@lovejustice TLDR: Zone 2 is light / low intensity.

The biggest problem CrossFitters have with Zone 2 is staying slow enough. CrossFitters with a little bit of experience tolerate intensity reasonably well because we do so much of it; most CrossFitters can manage in Zone 3 pretty easily (as your chart shows). For many CrossFitters, Zone 2 feels like a crawl. That's OK!

The purpose of Zone 2 is to improve oxygen delivery, so that means slow twitch fibers, low intensity, and long duration. Those slow twitch fibers' need for oxygen is what delivers the adaptations you're after. Over time you'll be able to oxidize fat at higher intensities, and you'll use oxygen more efficiently, pump more blood per heartbeat, etc. and it won't be such a crawl anymore.

But t's important to "live by the Zone" no matter how slow it feels. If you ramp up the intensity too high and incorporate excessive glycolytic power, you'll undermine some of the benefits you're after.

@buckswordbearer A simpler way to put it is zone 2 is a great way to build aerobic volume with minimal fatigue. You get all the benefits of intensity without having to take the time to recover from it or affecting your next session negatively. The trade off is the time commitment

@buckswordbearer I should have been more clear. I’m talking aerobic intensity. VO2 max and threshold. You could probably do something like 30/30s that would initially hit the fast twitch fibers but not enough to really stimulate them like heavy sets of squats or :15 all out sprints with full recoveries.

Zone 2 will give you most of the adaptations that VO2 and threshold does with a significantly less fatigue cost. But like you said, better put on a movie because it takes a while

And just to go off on a slight tangent that’s what I love about CF. Gotta have all the aerobic things and all the strength/power things to be good. It’s a never ending journey of figuring out how to best train in order to fully express them at high levels

@lovejustice Zone 2 is a super light workout, most places suggest it should be at a level where you are able to hold a conversation. If you use that as a metric it may be a more instinctive way to maintain that heart rate. Im not advocating you sit on the bike and talk to yourself throughout but hey, it might work

@jyne I saw that, I think its the Polar Flow site that's doing the calculation wrong? For a 183 bpm max and 54 bpm resting, most online calculators seem to indicate Z2 around 130-145 bpm. So numbers-wise I thought this was Z2. Otherwise Z2 would be a super light workout.

Back