2024 Muscle Building Tips for Vegans

@diesel24v Definitely agree that it's not as harmful as alcohol. But I'm weary of those who claim benefits of (psychologically) addictive drugs.

CBD is another story though!

@dawn16 Currently I'm taking Orgain Organic Protein Powder! 21g of protein and 160cal which can be mixed with a high protein soymilk for even more protein power.

@sonicfusion First off, this reads like a thinly veiled advertisement for your personal training services. Second, the advice you give is either obvious in the extreme or questionable.

@cephalus Ok well, IF does not inherently inhibit muscle growth; total calories is what counts, not when you eat them. Next, alcohol in moderation will not kill your gains (and I say that as someone who's not touched a drop in 28 years). Lastly, you certainly do not need a personal trainer, but not hard to see why a personal trainer might want to claim otherwise!

@howeryall Not sure if OP added context after you’d already commented, but your explanation is what they outlined. Alcohol is not inherently catabolic but, again, the disruption to quality sleep it can cause certainly can be. However, 100% agree with your last point!

@cephalus Alcohol is absolutely terrible for you, I stand by the statement. Besides the sleep disruption, it can cause hormonal imbalance and dehydration.

No bueno for gains.

Also, with the personal trainer bit I should have clarified but I was trying to make a concise point.

If someone wants to make a commitment to the gym, it certainly helps. Look at any local gym occupancy in January vs. February. While not completely necessary, humans have commitment issues and getting confidence and motivation to hit the gym can be super beneficial (especially at the beginning stages).

@sonicfusion What do most fit vegans eat for protein and what target do you try to reach? Also, how careful are you with carbs and fats? Could I get an example of what macros might look like for you?
Asking for a friend

@austinsugden I'm 180lbs and try to hit at least 120g of protein a day at around 2500cal. Seems to be sufficient.

I'm not careful with carbs and fats, though I do prioritize home cooked mostly whole foods. A lot of tofu, lentils, and hemp seeds!

@sonicfusion I never thought about the marijuana part. I have trouble sleeping. But for some reason when I train hard it becomes difficult for me to fall asleep. On days that I don’t train I knock out immediately. I’ve struggled with this for a while. I do however will either smoke in the afternoon or eat an edible to relax me. I wonder if it’s really the marijuana

@niki71 Perhaps you could try changing the time that you workout to earlier in the day to see if that helps. I would also suggest to try winding down in another way.

Not sure if you have access to a sauna, but it helps people with sleep and has a ton of other benefits.

Back