4th Annual Garage Gym Competition - Over $30,000 in Prizes! Full Details Available

carabu

Hey everyone, my name is Joe Gray, I go by Gray Matter Lifting on the various interweb channels, I'm a moderator on r/HomeGym and I’m the creator of the Garage Gym Competition! I posted some details in a few subs and had a member of your sub recommend I come over here too, and the mods gave me the greenlight... and so I'm here doing just that!

What is the Garage Gym Competition?

It is a virtual powerlifting meet for at-home lifters. No registration, no fees, easy entry, compete at any time during the week from your own gym, with a ton of awesome stuff up for grabs, all handed out via an open raffle where top prizes can be won with a 200lb or 2000lb total. Expect to see several thousand people around the globe enter this year: from seasoned professional powerlifters to complete beginners; from grandmas to 3 year olds; moms and dads and husbands and wives; every race creed and color; from multiple continents across the globe. The Garage Gym Competition is for anyone who pursues strength with a bar and weights at home.

I may not personally fit the bill of members of this sub, but here is my daughter (and wife) in the competition from last year:
This is the 4th year of the competition, taking place between May 15th to May 23rd with over 30 sponsors and more than $30,000 in prizes. You can find the full flyers and details in this r/HomeGym Post:
If you want more details, you can ask me here, check out the website, or head to the Instagram (FAQs and what not available there as well).

@carabu Lol, I love this. My first reaction was “I wish I had anything remotely close to the set-up required for this” but now I’m just excited to get as creative as possible and Figure Something Out.

The squat, I already know, will be throwing my partner on my shoulders and using him.

Happily taking suggestions from anyone for the other two lifts! I have a few kettlebells (50lb, 35lb, 20lb, 10lb), a dinky 15-lb bar, and yoga blocks/foam roller/pull-up bands/a couple tiny dumbbells/normal household items. There are the obvious options (asymmetrical suitcase deadlift and asymmetrical floor press) but if you had to get stupid* about it...

*stupid as in silly, not as in unsafe.

@carabu I definitely have the strength to deadlift him if we can figure out a setup (straps, maybe? Gives me something to play with, at least.)

But unfortunately my 130lb self doesn’t have a 180lb bench (yet). I’ll figure out SOMETHING ridiculous for it.

@carabu This look so fun and I am going to convince my workout buddy to participate with me! But I do have a question about "raw" equipment statement. The website rules say "You must compete in “Raw” equipment, which includes Belt, Knee Sleeves, and Wrist Wraps⁠ as the optional “gear” for all three lifts".

Does this mean I have to use those or that those are the only types of gear we can use?

@dawn16 So the Raw stance is only for Top Athlete consideration. Essentially, we need an even playing field to compare the top handful of people against each other.

Top Athletes are the top totals, top WILKs, and most improved from the previous year (10 of each). So it's a really small group considering we expect a few thousand people to participate. They get an extra two tickets to the open raffle. All prizes are handed out in the open raffle, so it's not like they automatically get anything... It's just a nice incentive for the biggest and baddest lifters each year.

Everyone else can wear literally whatever they want. Wraps, straps, suits, luchadora masks, one guy lifted almost completely naked last year, someone wore a banana suit... Up to you! So you can wear Raw, or not. Lift in your PJs or singlet, whatever... You are good to go.

@kaydenari We are pretty lenient on entries. People entered last year with some dumbbell lifts, others entered with a bar and chains, some people used concrete blocks, etc.

We know that with COVID, equipment has been tough to acquire, so we've made some exceptions to the typical bar, weights, rack, bench...

Back