5/3/1 Program calculator and workout tracker site

emoore80

Hey all,

I just published a hobby site for the 5/3/1 workout. You can check it out here: www.531calc.com. It's philosophically based on 5/3/1 and /@timhieuvetrello's excellent posts to this sub. Even if you're not doing 5/3/1 it may have some useful stuff for you, like the 1RM calculator and strength standard chart.

Basically it lets you:
  • Calculate your 1RM and other data to generate a monthly workout plan
  • Report, for you sex and weight what your strength standards are (and what animal you can lift, b/c that was fun too)
  • Based on your supplied list of plates, tell you what weights to load on the bar for each set
  • Track your progress in a diary with charts, saved to the cloud across devices if you logon (it uses your google logon, and only shows me your email address if you use it; if you don't logon then the data is just stored in local browser cache)
  • Keep a rest timer in between workouts
  • Choose various themes
  • You can also print a nicely laid out monthly plan and direct link your entire workout to another person or device
I've been using it for myself for the last few months, but this is the first time I've announced it to anyone else, so I'm sure there some bugs. It should be mobile friendly.

If you prefer an imgur gallery to trying out the site, you can see that here:
Thanks!

@emoore80 Seems like Lbs and Kg are switched. Says untrained should deadlift 105 when set to Lbs and 135 when set to Kgs.

Edit: Or I don't understand what it's supposed to tell me since the bench is higher than squat

Exc Untr Novice Int Adv Elite

Deadlift 105 195 220 320 415

Squat 85 155 190 260 345

Bench Press 90 115 140 195 240

Overhead Press 60 80 100 115 140

@winggo Great catch. My base unit is lbs (I'm a filthy American) so for KG I convert back to lbs for standards. I had various problems in that. I just fixed things so that when you switch between KG and LBS it will convert all your 1RM and weight, and it will properly translate the table into KG. Thanks!

@emoore80 I just did a quick look at the site and input some numbers that are at least real (not trying to fool your calcs). The one thing that hit me was the plate calculator - I put in 2 of everything from 45 to 2.5, but in some of the exercises it shows me putting 4 - 10's up, but I only have two. IOW, I see the plate display saying what should go on each end, so for 85lbs, you show 2 10's plus the bar (10+10+10+10+45). I only have 2 10's that I input to the plate calculator display. It's not a major deal as I can use 2 15's and 2 5's to get the same weight. It just caught me the first time through.
I'm currently running a GZCL template, but have the 5/3/1 book, have read it, was interested in the BBB, but everybody says you have to read the Beyond 5/3/1 which I have yet to do. I like what you are doing. I'm thinking of mixing up things and wanted to go to 5/3/1 as a way to change things. Your site looks like a really good method for doing that though I hate hanging leg raises :)

@dawn16 Good catch. I just checked out the plate thing, I think the issue is that the plate input is pairs of plates. So if you say "2" for 10's, it implies that you own 4 total 10 lb weights. So if you only own a single pair, just put it in as one. Regardless, it doesn't look like I clarified the fact that it's pairs anywhere in the UI, so I definitely need to fix that part. Let me know if that seem likes its working given the pairs thing.

I don't know if it's recommended, but I too hate hanging leg raises and usually just do planks variations instead, despite what I put on the site!

@dawn16 That doesn't sound right. Do you mind sharing your settings? (either type them here or just click the "Link" button at the top and share that with me)

@emoore80 Been doing 5/3/1 for a while now, tried out the site and the workouts it's giving are a bit too easy. I think it is missing the option to turn off "Use 90% of my 1RM"?

@ruford Just artificially bump up your 1RM until the weights are working out for you, then each month use the "Level up" which will increment SQ/DL +10 lbs and BP/OHP +5 lbs (technically I'm doing that slightly wrong at the moment, b/c I should be increasing the real 1RM by 11.11 and 5.55 since it's intended to increment the working weight).

Back