6 Month Handstand Progress: What It Really Takes & 3 Biggest Lessons

@jesiah I also have wrist tendon pain with handstand, that always trhow me back. But for the last month and half, I ve been doing wrist preparation from Fitnessfaqs, and now I can train handstand two times a week WITHOUT pain. Hopefully in a month more I will be able to train it at least 3times a week. Pasito a pasito
Your 25" hold really motivate me!! And you must hace been very Happy when you did that 2 tuck yo handstand.
Thanks for the motivation, keep progressin bro

@jesiah Whoooo just did kneeling press to pike for the first time (never heard of it) and:

1) My calves are tight af so I can't even extend my legs all the way

2) I've been dealing with lower back pain for a while due to doing ab rollouts incorrectly and this just hit the exact spot of my pain / weakness

Didn't realize I had such a big problem. I'll definitely be adding these into my routine.

@jesiah Congrats on the progress! I’ll add that handstands can be a reflection of everyone’s individual weaknesses. My wrists are more stable than my shoulders, so to me, shoulders come first. They’ve never automatically fallen into place— I’ve had to work on technique over and over again. For others still, it’s core control and learning how to engage the deep core to maximize stability.

@jesiah How do you recommend to fall properly? I started training the handstand and ended up hurting my ankle falling, now i'm afraid to return to practice and get hurt again

@mhollis Hmm how were you falling? If you did the pirouette which is the most common exit make sure to be comfortable doing cartwheels first. If you still have problems with pirouettes you cold try the forward roll but you need some base level of strength on shoulders

@jesiah I kept messing up my wrists so I have conditioned myself to do handstands on my fists only (fiststands). Took a while to transition but I love it. I'm only doing this on carpet, gymnastic floors and artificial turf. With more conditioning I hope to do this on wood and concrete surfaces eventually to differentiate myself from the standard handstand.

@jesiah I'll just say that I am quite impressed by how straight of a line you are from arms to waist, usually people have a huge arch, also due to shoulder mobility, but even your starting handstand looked great, I want that too.

@m7patriot Everyone has it's own strength and weaknesses. I may be more gifted with shoulder flexibility but you may have less problems with your wrists. Also sometimes more flexible shoulders can mean less stable

@jesiah I started training handstand about 3 weeks ago. Before that...i couldnt even kick up against wall. Now i can hold that 3 second clean perfect form without the wall and i also learned how to safety fall. I have to say that, before i started to train that skill, i was pretty good with weight training (i weight 82 kg and i have 85 kg military press max). I also have 10 handstand pushups 3/4 rom against wall. My approach its quite brutal. I train 1 day on 1 day off for about 1 and half hour...without stopping...i practice kickup handstand, handstand pushups negatives (20 sec against wall) and half rom handstand pushups...every workout its getting better. I think that in another 1 month ill have at least 15 seconds clean handstand off the wall. imho the more u train the faster u progress. Easy. I also heard people that spent 5 YEARS to learn that skill...lol WTF. imho if u have already strong shoulders 2/5 months is the sweet spot. Sorry for same mistakes with the language..but im not english and i dont use google translate LOL...

@nebeyu Consistency is key. If you train HS very on and off, and it’s not your main goal, it can be 5 years of playing around with it without commitment. And it’s one of those skills that doesn’t develop well with such approach. Source: that’s exactly what I’m doing 😄.

If you have time to train 1.5 hours every other day and focus on HS as one of your main goals of course it’ll be much quicker.

Back