A calorie is not a calorie??

@mikeb34 I disagree and believe your information is out dated. High processed foods often contain chemicals and other additives that impact your metabolic system in negative ways.

Also Andrew Huberman is one of the most informed and well respected individuals in terms of body chemistry. He is a professor at Stanford School of Medicine, very highly respected and trusted. I’d suggest you check out his podcasts, they are some of the most informative and educational sources of human biology available. Always backed up with reputable speakers and source material.

You on the other hand are someone in the internet. If you are gonna refute Andrew Huberman, you are going to need to do better then a 50+ year old study.

@mehr And what of the high concentrations of pesticides, manufactured chemicals and microplastics that are present in every animal on the planet in detectable levels? Many of these hitch-hike into our bodies on whole and processed foods, they are now unavoidable even on a100% organic whole-food diet.

Specifically I'm speaking to the "fructose as poison" POV and its relationship to obesity, without mentioning the dose-dependent nature of it, or the BMI of the people who are most often used as case studies. This is taken so far that some uninformed people actually believe that all carbohydrate metabolism is harmful.

CICO has never been "debunked". Most of these side quests to alternatively explain obesity in other terms are at best, distant secondary contributors. At worst, nothing more than an opportunity to make $ as Taubes and Attia did, along with many many more with each "new" nutritional revelation. And they die hard or not at all, doing nothing but adding confusion to a very basic dynamic.

Move more, eat less, and never forget that for H Sapiens exercise isn't something that makes us "better", its a requirement for basic health.

@mikeb34 I never said CICO wasn’t the most important aspect of weight loss. But it’s not the most important aspect of building muscles and physical fitness performance.

@mehr I made two statements that sum up my POV generally aside from CICO:
  • "Eating at maintenance with a moderate bodyfat % almost any diet high enough in protein and micronutrients will be "healthy"
  • "If you have to cut too much whole food items to make way for processed or luxury foods, you're going to see and feel it at some point."
CICO determines surplus or deficit, which absolutely is a foundational element for body comp. I'd also say that anyone who is interested in micronutrient quality of their food will limit processed and celebratory foods to some extent anyway. That said, eating at maintenance there will be no bodycomp or performance bonanza by eliminating the odd desert or having your coffee with no sweetener.

@mehr There are plenty of scientists that disagree with many of Hubermans views, a lot of what he says may well be true. But he isn't universally respected.

@louis2017 No, I’m not responding to people who gas light. How do I respond to someone who claims I say “everyone respects Andrew Huberman” when in reality I said “a large majority respect Andrew Huberman”. It’s not being pedantic, how do I defend myself against something I didn’t say that clearly has a vastly different meaning. I’m saying he’s not a nobody and he’s well respected and known in his field. This guy is saying “he’s not universally respected”, which I never said he was. Of course not everyone is going to respect or agree with him. “Well respected” does not equal “universally respected”. They have very different meanings and at this point in time if you also can’t understand that I don’t care.

@mehr Uno reverse to your disagree!

The only reason any of this matters is if we can apply the information given to our own lives and have the desired effect. Millersixteenth above asserts that their experience, after comparing it to the various theories out there, is that CICO has such a dominant effect that any other changes will be negligible. This is valuable information regardless of anyone’s interpretation of theories being discussed. Confirmation bias disclosure, this also follows my experience of a somewhat less than 40 year observation.

No need to try and use someone else’s clout to put down someone providing an experiential opinion. Also no real reason to assume that your interpretation of what a neuroscientist says about metabolic interactions is any more valid than anyone else’s opinion here.

@mehr In all fairness, I don't trust him at all. He promotes some stupid shit. Encourages people to waste money and time on complete garbage. e.g. insidetracker, his bs "protocols"

His background is in neuroscience. Not sports nutrition, exercise physiology, medicine, etc.

@mehr Always backed up with reputable source material? You mean like all the rodent studies he extrapolates onto humans? MANY doctors and scientists think he’s an absolute sham. Not because he lacks expertise in his field, but because he thinks that allows him to act like an expert in many fields, which he is not.

@ayla17 If the same person with the same caloric expenditure eats the same amount of calories, they will weigh the same. If you're asking will they build as much muscle? No, they won't. Will they have the same health markers? No, they won't (providing that they were working out to build muscle, if they weren't they're probably about the same). But when it comes to weight gain and weight loss, a calorie is a calorie.

Let me introduce you to the Twinkie diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

@ayla17 You didn’t say body composition, you said fat. Now you’re moving the goalpost to include muscle mass, which no one was ever talking about.