A few reasons why people f*ck up their 1st contest prep and what you can do about it

christian70

Too soft, too small and blames judging for their poor performance. This is usually how first shows go. But why? And mostly, can this be avoided? Of course.

Overall Game Plan
* Just knowing what you stage weight should realistically be is a starter. Guys have unrealistic expectations and get caught off guard being fat and 20lbs too heavy at 4 weeks out.
* Planning your cut at a constant 4lbs/week fat loss rate might work on paper, but once you reach single digits, you keep can't keep doing that shi*t and expect to retain muscle mass. But since you're 4 weeks out and still, you'll keep pushing that way and end up looking like an oily shrimp on stage.
* Thinking that any sort of "peak week" magic will help you. No it won't. Peak week is not the icing on the cake, it's the damn sprinkles. If you don't look good before peak week, you won't look good after. Yeah but[sup]Phil[/sup] Heat in 2014[sup]came[/sup] up leaner[sup]at[/sup] the night show.

Diet
* Too big of a deficit. I see guys starting their cut at 3500 calories and ending it at 1500. You are doing it wrong. I personally start my cut at 2850 and finish it at 2600. Understand the impact of macros and be patient. Your body doesn't care if you enjoy your cereals, if you need to go keto, you go keto.

Training
* Study proportions and give less attention to dominant body parts. Success as a natural guy is not about maxing out every body part, it's about balancing them. It's not about being extreme, it's about being perfectly balanced

Posing
* Practice, record, analyze, repeat. You'd be surprised how many people never practice posing before their first show and end up looking like Egyptian Hieroglyphs. Posing is hard. Posing well is extremely hard. We don't have the size of the other kind of bodybuilding. Just showing off our muscles is not enough to captivate the judges and the audience. No one is impressed by your 155lbs package on stage unless is presented with grace and elegance.

Hope this helps.

Bonus
* I'm very much of a loner and like to do everything by myself, so I understand if you want to do the same, but it's always good to have someone watch over you when prepping. Obviously someone who's been there before. Guidance helps as you lose your objectivity when coming close to show date.

@christian70 My first show is next April, so I'll start dieting mid December. You say, if you have to go keto, go keto. I dieted somewhat successfully this summer while keeping carbs in.

At what point would someone decide to hop on a keto diet? When stalling in weight?

@dawn16 If you can get show ready without going keto, do it by any means. What I'm saying is that if you need to do it, but just don't do it because you enjoy your daily pancakes, that's a mistake.

Drop carbs before dropping calories. Guys could keep calories much higher if they just dropped carbs instead of keeping them and dropping calories. Replace carbs by fats or protein first, then when you're in keto and hit plateau; start dropping calories. I personally never reduce calories by more then 50 per week. You will often find that changing macros will produce the same weight loss effects as reducing calories, without the associated metabolic damage.

Edit: didn't answer your question directly.
  • Answer 1: You don't hop on keto, you just replace carbs with fats until you end up in keto.
  • Answer 2: Yes, I usually wait to be stalled for 2 weeks, but if you're doing a short prep (10-12 weeks), you can also adjust weekly. Just don't make any changes because you haven't lost weight today

@christian70 Any advice for a woman 6 days out from her first show? Eeep!

Honestly I think I'm doing really good. I feel awesome even on zero carb days. Coffee helps I suppose. Haha!

@combscreek Yeah keto feels great. Most of the problems associated with keto are actually caused by prolonged caloric deficit.

Well at 6 days out, let's see. I have zero info on your journey and current situation, so I can't get technical here, but still
  • You still got time to get leaner if you need to. Bikini girls don't need to carb up much so you could literally deplete for 5 more days if need be.
  • Posing, posing, posing.
  • Try to modify your current lifestyle/schedule as little as possible
  • Don't stock up on post show binge food. If you want to cheat before your reverse dieting, do it at restaurants. The food you buy now will be eaten, sooner or later.
  • Make sure your reverse dieting is already planned and scheduled.
  • Take pictures
  • Be nice to people, in 5 days you will become a normal citizen again and will have to live with the consequences of today's actions.
  • Don't take any decisions as to compete again or not right after your show. Give yourself a couple weeks.
Hope this helps.

@christian70 I've definitely developed habits. The most modification I've done to my schedule is how I get my cardio in. I'll go bike or hike outside if I can. A hour and a half lifting is a lot on a nice day.

I'm on 45g C today and tomorrow. Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday is zero carbs days as well as show day but fats in the range of 65g. 140g protein.

My coach is planning my reverse diet and going out with me night of the show and the next morning for breakfast. :)

How long would you say it takes to reverse diet back to maintenance?

@combscreek It varies according to a few factors like how much you lowered your metabolism, how long you've been on a deficit, keto or not, current condition, hormones, how well you do the said reverse dieting, etc. I've had anywhere between 3 weeks and 4 months. Usually a month is pretty standard when everything is done right with no out of the ordinary circumstances.

TBH the key is really just to follow what your body tells you and respect that rhythm. If it takes longer, it takes longer. My goal is always to stay as lean as possible while going back to my off-season calories and strength.

@christian70 Nice writeup! I'm just jealous that you can cut at 2600 calories. I'm also a 5'6" brah and I need to be sub 2000 cals to drop weight. sedentary desk job Feelsbadman.jpg

@leonidad Well that's the point of my post. You could. I work from my computer and don't practice any sport.. My metabolism is very average and I get fat if I eat more than 3k. My approach has been working without failing for years on me or on my clients. I didn't invent it, I was taught by an old school natural bodybuilder.

Edit: respect for the username

@christian70 I suppose I really could. Perhaps I'm just making excuses. If cardio machines' calorie expenditure readings are accurate, then I know I could burn 500-600 within an hour at a reasonable intensity, which would increase my TDEE and allow me to eat more. I've always just been in the camp of "cardio isn't necessary, all you need is lifting", but I suppose if you want to not feel like you're starving on a cut, do cardio so you can eat more.

@leonidad The most accurate way to calculate TDEE is to not calculate it. Just stick to a certain number of calories and macros; then wait. You will accurately know of you are on a deficit or surplus. This is much more precise than using any tool out there. No system knows your exact expenditure. And yes, cardio allows you to keep calories higher and get the macros you need.

For example, if you don't do any cardio and need to eat 1900 calories to cut, well my friend you don't have enough of 1900 calories to fit in the macros I need to get the results I got.

@christian70 Posing * Practice, record, analyze, repeat. You'd be surprised how many people never practice posing before their first show and end up looking like Egyptian Hieroglyphs.

I died right there xD

Back