A Giant WTF (Program Review)

inspiringmedia

I just wrapped up Geoff Neupert's popular The Giant program, which only focuses on the clean & press, and I wanted to give it a quick review.

Background

As a bit of background, I was in between bell sizes for the better part of 2023. To start the year, I could hit 12 reps on the C&P with my 20kg bells, and right around 7-8 with my 24kg bells.

I did a bunch of other things, but in the back of my mind I knew I wanted to periodically test my max reps with the 24s and that the moment I hit 10, I'd run The Giant.

Back in early September, I hit 10 reps in the morning and printed off the Giant in the afternoon to run it on my next training day.

The Program

Since it's a paid program, I don't want to give away too many details, but I only ran 1.0 and 1.1.

I listened to my body, but as much as possible, I tried to always ensure I got in more work than the prior session. So if I was able to do 10 sets on day 1 the first week, then I'd aim to do 11 the following week in roughly the same allotted time by slightly shortening my rest periods.

That didn't always work, but in the example above, since I ran it for 25 minutes, that means week 1 day 1, I did sets every 2:30 (10 total), and then week 2, day 1, I did sets every 2:15 (11 total).

I stuck to 3 days per week (M/W/F), and I'd usually do 10 minutes of dynamic warm-up (swings, band work, mobility drills), 25 minutes of the Giant, then 5-10 minutes of light accessory work if I had the time/energy (a set or two of easy front squats, pull ups, ab wheels, etc.), and then 5-10 minutes of cool down.

All-in, each workout lasted about 45 minutes.

Results

In terms of results, in my first session, I did 50 reps in 25 minutes, and in my best session, I did 84 reps in 27 minutes.

Perhaps even more strikingly, I just tested my RM on the C&P with my 24s and was floored with the results.

Going into my recent max rep set, I thought "I bet I can eke out 12, maybe 13 reps" and blew through that and hit 15. Hence, my Giant WTF moment.

I would've never expected a 50% improvement in a little over two months, and in some ways, I feel like I either could've done more than 10 reps at the start, or 15 reps was a weird anomaly. Regardless, the program clearly worked.

I don't have any pics, but I did pack on some weight per the scale, and my shoulders and back feel larger. Maybe not "noticeably" larger, but definitely larger.

My only negative (as others have said) was the repetitiveness finally wore me down and I did not complete 1.2. I did two weeks of 1.2 and then finally said "I'm ready for something different."

That's a bit rare for me since I love completing things, routine, and structure, but after 30 workouts doing only one exercise, I was ready for a change.

Conclusion

The Giant is an extremely worthy use of $19, especially if you're looking to increase your strength and endurance on the clean and press.

I can't guarantee you'll see identical results, but if you stick with it, you'll certainly see something.

This is not sponsored or anything of that sort, but if you want to pick it up, here is the link to the program.

@snowlucario Thank you. And that's really helpful to know. I may run something to mix it up over the next 4-6 weeks that has a healthy (but not unending) dose of C&P and then jump right into 1.2 to finish it off.

@inspiringmedia Great work. I don’t think going from 10RM to 15RM in 8 weeks should be a “WTF”, but rather a reasonable expectation for a good program (unless your press is already at a very high level). If you find the Giant boring, you can get similar results with other programming.

@wezo777 Nice job sticking with your program! Personally I feel that showing up and exercising is half the battle. I like changing up the routine every few months too. My only criteria is that I’m hitting all the muscle groups and balance of push/pull exercises. That being said I feel that you could have gone from 10 to 15 reps by doing a full body workout that includes clean and press for one of the exercises. I usually add 1 rep per set or somehow increase volume for ALL exercises every week. 10 to 15 over 8 weeks isn’t too crazy especially for focusing on just 1 exercise.

@inspiringmedia Great job! It's such an awesome program.

I didn't test before The Giant, but I went from an assumed 2x28 for 10 reps and 2x32 for 5 to 2x28 for 16 and 2x32 for 11. So I don't think your results are too wacky - it's just a good program!

If you're more into DFW you could see if you can C&P (or clean & push press) 2x32 for 5 - I have a feeling that'd be around the right weight for you. (But of course, that's also 3x/week - then again, it's only 4 weeks).

@inspiringmedia 😂

I've been accustomed to the WTHs that I thought your WTF was a negative opinion on The Giant. 8 weeks, 3 days a week, 5 rep increase. That's good. Have good run on your next adventure.

@inspiringmedia Nice! I recently bought the program and will be running it after this week’s vacation. My overhead press has always been weak compared to other movements…so I will press a lot to get stronger at pressing.

@inspiringmedia Currently about to start week 3 of 1.2……and I hear you. Dreading the session tonight. The C+P has finally done me but also my be the increased workload

Congrats on the results - it’s a fantastic program

@inspiringmedia How did you feel adding on worked out? One thing im hesitant about is starting g the giant strictly. Want to do legs, pulls and accessory moves still with revolving days so most days still see some type of workout.

@inspiringmedia Great results! I just started the Giant myself after a period of inactivity.

Question for you - I am fortunate to be using a pair of nice adjustable kettlebells. Do you think that it makes sense to do the jump from 1.0 to 1.1 as originally programmed, or to just bump the weight by 1 or 2 kg and start over?

@imeldaspoetry It depends on what you want, bumping up 1 or 2 kg while recycling 1.0 would be great for strength gains. 1.1 and 1.2 is more focused on hypertrophy and increasing work capacity by pushing your threshold for strength/power endurance.

Back