a little lost on where to start (F/21)

wayfaringking

Hi! Like the title says I’m a bit confused on where or how I should start with my fitness journey. I’m F/21, 5’3, and I weigh 44 kg which means that I’m underweight.
I personally just want to get fit and strong while trying to get that normal BMI.

I’d really like to start out with a personal trainer first before I go to gyms alone because I’d prefer to have someone correct my forms and all that. But the Fitness First near my area have unreasonable prices (in my own opinion) and there’s also a fairly good gym in my condo but, again, I don’t really want to start alone. Does anyone have any leads on where I can get a personal trainer? or just any advice on what I should do? I’d appreciate any advice I can get :)

@wayfaringking Hello! Sports Science graduate here 😃

From the info and goal you gave, I'd suggest a caloric surplus (recommended is 500-1000 kcal above maintenance) to gain 1-2 lbs per week. If you're having a hard time getting those calories in, liquid calories are a pretty decent solution to that (they can give you a good amount of calories without you having much trouble ingesting it). If ever you wanna learn or ask more feel free to shoot a message hehe

If you wanna learn more without having to hire a personal trainer I'd suggest YouTubers like:
- Jeremy Ethier/Built with Science
- Dr. Bret Contreras
- Renaissance Periodization/Dr. Mike Israetel
- Jeff Nippard

Hope these help!!

@wayfaringking Youtube is free.

Jeff Nippard's Fundamentals series: basics of programming and exercise selection. He also has good presentations for nutrition etc

Calgary Barbell: barbell lift tutorials and form check friday

FitnessFAQs and Saturno Movement: bodyweight exercises

Avoid AthleanX, he thrives on nocebos which does more harm than good for most people. He's fine if you're rehabbing a current injury

Don't worry about BMI and just chase strength at your target rep ranges.

@folkwire Just skimmed thumbnails now... Looks like an intense cardio based channel. Probably not the best route for beginners then. I'd focus on getting comfortable with a lifting routine, then add diet, then add light cardio last. Trying all 3 right out the gate will lead to burn out.

@faryfary Yung 3 months na yun every session ba need ng personal trainer? Lets say 3 times a wrek sa gym edi 3 times a weeks din dapat may personal trainer?

@wayfaringking Considering your options, might be best to start with a good gym in your area that offers classes or foundations or go with online coaching first.

If you don't mind me asking, what area do you stay in? If ever, might know a good place near yours that you might want to look around in. Send me a DM if ever!

@wayfaringking Hi! When I was a newbie to the gym (and all the equipment) i found Naomi Kong on YouTube!

She’s one of the only youtubers (in my opinion) that gives really good and detailed instructions/demonstrations on how to use gym equipment. She helped a lot with my gym anxiety and maybe she can do the same for you! Best of luck to you, OP!

@wayfaringking personally mas okay magkaron ng coach muna lalo beginner ka palang. ask ka sa Strong Girl's Club sa Facebook din so kung gusto mo ng online coach na babae din meron don na coaches thread pwede ka mamili kung sinong pasok sa budget mo. you mentioned medyo unreasonable ang price sa FF halos same din kasi price point ng AF medyo mas mababa lang so baka gusto mo na lang i-consider mag-online coach.

@wayfaringking Start off with bodyweight exercises. Get comfortable with the idea of working out. You'll figure out very quickly what you need once you get started serious. I know a chic that does online consultation for chump change if you're interested. But really my advice for small and scared newbies is to get comfortable trying first.

Back