Advice for starting from basically 0 muscle mass and poor endurance?

blacksheepkate

I am 23F and dealing with cancer (but I am nearly all good)! After I recover fully from my surgery, I really want to start doing all the things I’ve been wanting to do but have felt too sick to do over the past year or so - including running, weightlifting, and rock climbing.

However, I have some concerns as I have been pretty unwell and sometimes bedridden, I have a lot of muscle wasting as I lost around 60 pounds (150 to 90 lbs at 5’8) once I started feeling sick. I have been able to gain back to 115 lbs by just eating lots of caloric foods (lots of nuts and chickpeas etc) and actually did some physiotherapy, but I get exhausted pretty easily and find myself winded after walking up 3-4 flights of stairs).

Does anyone have advice for starting basically from 0 muscle mass and getting winded easilt - maybe good exercises to begin with so I can can develop a small amount of endurance or strength to begin doing more serious workouts eventually? or there maybe programs for this kind of thing that exist? I am okay with not having immediate results and taking the time to make sure I don’t injure myself.

Thanks!

@blacksheepkate Congrats on kicking cancers behind! Do as much as you can physically and eat more protein. Building muscle takes protein. So as long as your doctor oks it you should eat a higher protein diet and get good sleep. But basically iust push yourself as hard as you feel comfortable and try to push yourself a little bit more week to week. If you are resting, eating protein, and drinking water enough then you will be making gains. Dont go too crazy and slowly build yourself back up. In 6 months time you wont believe your progress. Also helpful to track what you did and how many reps or time you did it for. It will help you track your progress week to week and month to month

@blacksheepkate Hey Girl ,

First of all , Kudos to you for beating Cancer !!!!

I think you should not wait for anyone to do those things you always desire to do, but before that just check how you are feeling physically because all those things you mentioned are LITTLE physically draining .

So , you might want to :
  1. Maintain a calorie surplus :
a) Calculate your TDEE (total daily calorie expenditure by going to any TDEE calculator on net like : https://www.calculator.net/tdee-calculator.html

b) once you have your TDEE ( calorie per day), just add 500-700 calories to that --> that would be your goal calories

2) Focus on Protein first , Carb second and then Fat : its specially for your case , usually 2nd and 3rd place is reversed. Eat lean protein like chicken breasts , Salmon , Beef etc ( panner , tofu, cottage cheese , cheese if you are vegetarian)

Take Carbs from Rice, Bread , Tacos , Chapati , Peeta Bread and veggies lots of veggies please

Take your Fats from Seeds , Nuts , Greek yogurt ( full cream)

Other essential nutrients from : Berries, Fruits ( have 2-5 servings of fruit each day whenever you feel like Snacking on something unhealthy).

3) Cut out anything from above list your doctor said you are allergic to or your meds would react with .

4) Start with body weight exercises ( think of lifting 115 pounds in one go) it WILL give you muscles , trust me

5) Consider Strength - based yoga, Bodyweight routines , Pilates , or mix and match --> make it a fun week for yourself

6) Always opt for fun when it comes to body movement

7) Stall ( no brisk walking) in the morning for 15-30 mins

8) Eat min 3 liters of water everyday

9) Sleep atleast 7 hours daily ( i would prefer if you can sleep 8+ hours)

10) Bonus : Dream like a Disney Princess , because you deserve all of it !!! :)