Am I a dreamer or insane? I'm embarking on a 12 week journey of doing Sealfit M/W/F and Wendler's 5/3/1 on Tu/Th..

35jesuswept

Essentially I'll be only doing the metcon portion of SEALfit's programming and then splitting bench/squat on tues and press/dealift on thurs. I'm not concerned with overtraining, as I'm prepping for an indoctrination training course. Over the past 5 weeks Ive been doing sealfit's 5 week program that basically conditions you for the 8 week program. I've been crossfitting since jan 2012 (@ a box and recently my personal garage gym)

@35jesuswept I spent a summer doing The Outlaw Way replacing the outlaw metcon with the SEALfit one. It is possible as long as you keep barbells out of your conditioning. I had never done their prep stuff so you're more prepared than I was.

Here's what I did with wendler last summer/fall:

Mon - Power Cleans, deadlift, accessories, WOD

Tues - Power Snatches, press, accessories, WOD

Wed - Accessories, Bodyweight WOD similar to SEALfit

Thurs - Snatches, back squat, front squat 3x8, accessories

Fri - Clean and Push Press, bench, accessories, WOD

Sat - Snatch, Clean and Jerk, accessories

I think you can do it and be okay. Just eat enough and I took a lot of supps: glucosamine for joints, ZMA for sleeping better, casein, whey, fish oil, vitamin D-3

@35jesuswept Hey buddy, I'm not a LEO but I am a firefighter. I'm not sure what your shift work is like right now, but I do Tactical Barbell 3 days a week, and metcon or WOD/sprints the other 3 days with 1 complete rest day. 1-2 days after Tactical Barbell I will do a met con type finisher or row sprints. We work 24/48's. We are usually up 4-7 times after midnight so sleep is completely fucked, and I have had good results even with that caveat. I would just put a major emphasis on recovery/nutrition. And pay attention to your body. Stuff you probably already know. Good luck, I have tons of respect for what you do/are going to do!

@35jesuswept Your not on the course yet, so over training should be a concern. Now is the time to get your body %100.
I assume indoctrination course is some type of higher level military course, and I also assume seal fit leave out pack marching as all military-for-the-masses workouts do. So if you add a 2 or 3 hour stomp on top of the current program, you'll be hurting.

@dapa37 SEALfit actually does include rucking. usually a 45 min on uphill terrain is Rx in the workouts. I usually will do the Rx ruck at work, if time allows. Sometimes, it happens either way. The indoc I will be going through is a 2 week indoc before the pipeline... not military. A federal law enforcement agency that hunts humans.

@35jesuswept Hi,

Youre probably 1/3 dreamer, because youre goal oriented and 3/4 insane because the operator lifestyle isn't for the sane. You have to be partially insane to do what we do.

I have done what you are embarking on. Half of it anyways. I've done the 5 weeks beginner programming and the 8 weeks to Sealfit. It was OUTSTANDING. Hard, lots of volume, challenging and life changing. Mark Devine is a genius when it comes to helping you break those barriers when you think you cant push on.

If you're training for something that is going to involve 20 hour training days of constant beat downs, then this is the programming for you. If condition and callus you for what is ahead. I'm also law enforcement, and also part of an SRT. I basically prepped for the course using sealfit, along with long runs. The rucking is already implemented, along with swimming and all that you'll need for the indoc. Its good that your adding strength training to the programming. Strength is already included as part of the skill portion everyday but if your splitting the programming with strength training, I'd say that's even better than what devine programmed.

Good luck brotha. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to pick my brain.

@35jesuswept Strictly, by the book. It was a lot of volume but the way it was programmed, it gave you time to rest after the days that lived by the No Easy Day mantra. Think you'll be fine how you have it set up. You're not doing the metcons day after day like I did.

@35jesuswept I used to work out 5 days a week, and as long as you are targetting different muscle groups, getting enough sleep (seriously 8+ hours) and eating clean you should be fine.

@35jesuswept Can't say for certain because I do not know that programming. I do:
  • M - Strength
  • Tu - Metcon
  • W - Strength
  • Th - Rest
  • F - Metcon
  • Sa morning - Strength
  • Sa afternoon thru Monday night = a ton of rest.
The meat of the suggestion is scheduling actual rest and recovery days throughout the week. I try to get most rest after strength in order to suck out the gains. So for you maybe: Metcon, Metcon, Strength, Rest, Metcon, Strength, Long Rest?

@35jesuswept Expect injury. Expect poor sleep from increased cortisol and other stress hormones. Expect poor recovery from poor sleep.

I'd absolutely modulate your cortisol (inositol and ps are good starting points), if you even think you've injurred something I'd discontinue for a few days to see what's going on.

I'm not sure what's in the seal fit metcon but s far as Wendler's I don't know why you are doing it... I'd focus more on movements that you are likely to actually do if you pass the course and get the job... work on your vertical jump, pull ups/muscle ups (for pulling yourself up walls or over obstacles), full-out sprints in a weight vest (simulates running in body armor, heat will build up FAST) with maybe 10-15lbs in it, get a sandbag and do buddy drags (the cloth handles are just like the drag handles on tactical body armor) and fireman carries.

I'd also get yourslef a decent gas blowback airsoft or even a BB gun, do full out sprints and stop and quickly acquire a target and fire. Get used to controlling your breath and composing yourself in a second or two max and getting something on target, start at 3 yards or so and work out to 10-15 yards. Just use something that shoots a consistent pattern from a benched position so you know it's more you controlling your breath and body when firing fatigued than just the dumb luck of an unreliable airsoft/bb gun.

Despite what you see on tv, door-kicking fugitive-chasing federal LEOS and special forces types are more often than not fairly lean and agile. Want to lift heavy for gains, worry about that shit AFTER you get the job.

Back