An interesting Athlean X take on planks

fullspinzoo

Longtime lurker here. I recently watched this regarding planks. It's an interesting perspective that appears to make some valid points on the limitations of this frequently lauded exercise. First, Jeff Cavaliere notes that it only works the abs in one plane, the sagittal plane, as opposed to different sides, rotation, etc. Additionally, instead of glute and posture strengthening, the hip flexors are actually activated. When the glutes are contracted at the top of a plank, they are not contracted under load, so it's not as effective. Because it works the hip flexors, too much strengthening/tightening could cause low back issues. And finally, in terms of posture, the contractions of the rhomboids and traps at the top of a plank are essentially unloaded, so again, not as effective

Ultimately, he mentions that in order to actually get the claimed benefits of a plank, one should do reverse planks. This way, you can progressively overload the posterior chain. Beginners can start by performing it on a bench, then ultimately transition to a full reverse plank on the floor.

Thoughts?

@fullspinzoo Jeff doesn't have time to talk nonsense, the dude is properly authentic in his advice. I agree with him about planks, there are countless better and more fun ways to train abs than arbitrarily spending hours in a plank position. Where is the challenge??

@azsosa That's why, when doing side planks, I raise my free arm up and down. It becomes a dynamic balancing hold, rather than static one.

And regular plank was replaced with ab roller and leg raise.

@birdetto Try side plank raises instead of just holds, your obliques will burn like fire. Even better are oblique exercises involving rotation, like windshield wipers on a pullup bar.

@azsosa I would add a challenge moving. Legs, moving to the sides, up, down, crossing knees, bringing knees to the chest... Even rotating.

@nad Jeff's beginner routine and his videos on identifying weaknesses in your core really got me to try moving during planks and has made a world of difference. On his 22 day challenge now and it's kicking my ass.

@yourfriendcrow Nope, he does have a 6 pack promise that is a 90 day routine via the app and then there is a 22 day routine as well that is much more intense.

The beginner routine is just a way to strengthen areas you're weak in and keep them engaged on a daily basis, which isn't a bad thing.

@yourfriendcrow The 22 day or the Six Pack Promise? The promise is a paid app, only 3 bucks for a 90 day routine you can follow with videos timers and a meal plan guideline.
It is pretty decent value for the money.

Back