An interesting Athlean X take on planks

@nicolecham You have to build resiliency in ur back through very careful monitoring (by like a physical therapist) and load management. You will experience flare ups and pain but understand ur body is strong. You got this don’t listen to ur doctor look for a second opinion from somebody qualified and actually wants you to live well

@bsf4au01 Thank you. I know it sounds corny, but you guys have really inspired me to look into alternative post surgery plans. These last few months have caused a lot of feelings I can't even describe and have never experienced before from depression to wondering if I'm losing my mind at times.

All because I was brave enough to be down voted by a bunch of Redditors. Thank God for the ones of you who commented and messaged me. Thank you

@nicolecham Check out the book “Back in Control” by David Hanscom. I’ve been struggling with back pain for over a year - not as bad structurally as you’re describing but still its introduced a lot of limitations. That book really helped me with the mental aspects of the pain. It’s definitely not a “its all in your head” thing but understanding how much positive feedback your brain subconsciously puts into pain pathways really helps. Good luck with your surgery!

@aprilagain Thank you. I will have to check that out. Back pain is unlike any other pain I've experienced I have broken several bones, tore skin and tissue off my finger, and get deep cuts about once a month. None of that really phases me. There is definitely a lot at play in my head with this issue haha. I appreciate you and good luck to you as well.

@nicolecham Oh, its definitely different. It dominates basically every movement and, if it doesn’t, the threat of it looms large in the background. Cuts, bruises, sprains even - they all go away eventually. Or at least markedly improve in the short term but for me, the back pain is always present even when its very minimal.

I’m an anesthesia provider and I know you like & respect your surgeon, but if you haven’t explored a minimally invasive approach with someone, I would highly recommend that you do. Your recovery will be much faster and your surgical pain significantly less. Also ask if either your surgeon or the anesthesia team will be taking a multimodal approach to your pain control. The spine surgeon at my facility uses a highly effective pre-op cocktail of gabapentin, Celebrex and oxycodone or oral morphine. His patients wake up extremely comfortable with minimal need for pain meds from me.

@aprilagain Thanks again for all the information. They advised that they do take a multi-modal approach like you discussed which is good because I have insisted that they not prescribe me any narcotics. I'm going with strictly Tylenol. I am a recovered addict and having not taken any in 6 years, I still miss that feeling they provide. I fear that even if my wife dispensed them as needed, I would long for more and seek them out. Too risky. I sent you a PM. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it more than a comment reply can convey.

Back