An interesting Athlean X take on planks

@fullspinzoo I feel like most of Athlean’s videos are just contrarian reasons not to do a popular exercise. I could be wrong but he definitely milks the curiosity appeal of “Stop doing ___ exercise NOW!” videos

@jonyx He does, but they're not contrarian. He rarely says just give them up, more often than not it'd be more accurate to call them "STOP DOING ___ LIKE THIS!" videos. Usually it's an improvement for more muscle activation.

@fullspinzoo I feel like planks are great for all around core activation but you've got to do variations to benefit all the different muscle groups: single arm raises on normal planks, tucking a knee or moving an arm out in front or behind during side planks, raising one leg off the ground during reverse planks... stuff like that in order to target rotational stability, etc. I do a couple sets of planks to start every workout as a warm up... I feel like they're great for not only activating muscle groups but also to pinpoint potential injury areas before overloading them with the main exercises.

@dawn16 Have you ever tried them? I have gone through AX-2, and now on his "Beast" program, which is a full body routine.

This program incorporates everything. Compound exercises, different rep schemes/rest times, athletic movements, meal plan, off day mobility drills, and his Ab workouts which have over 100+ movements with different difficulty settings and equipment settings. I'm seeing great strength and size gains from being on it

He has different programs for different goals, but the foundation of them is to train "like an athlete". I've had poor shoulder and hip flexor mobility for a long time and some of the exercises he chooses to put in there have helped immensely, like his Facepull variations and wall bicep curls with external rotation. If you actually went through the program, maybe it just wasn't to your liking, but calling it a "fluff and pump" program is very untrue IMO

@roadking Show the results or idc lol

Or if you’re new send me the program(i have no use in distrusting or stealing it myself) and I’ll evaluate it

I’m just saying i never saw someone get strong on his programs or anyone strong have a good opinion of them lol

@dawn16 Look at Jeff, look up the testimonials on their site or Instagram page of normal people becoming healthy, leaner, and stronger. Go look at Jesse from the beginning up to before he got his concussion. "Show the results or idc lol" there they are for you

I have personal friends who use his programs who have progressed a ton in the gym because of it. Not only in strength, but in total body mobility and size. I've never seen anyone get strong from Calisthenics (in person) but guess what, you most definitely can and people do

@roadking
Go look at Jesse

Didn’t he have like a 300 deadlift after a year of training? If you consider his results good idk what to tell you lol. Enjoy the fluff i guess.

Edit: turns out it was a trap bar deadlift, high handle at that

I've never seen anyone get strong from Calisthenics

Neither have I. But I’ve also never seen anyone put time into an actual calisthenics progression so it’s kind of irrelevant.

@dawn16 You ask for evidence, I provide it, then you single one part out? If someone as a super skinny beginner, like Jesse, built up to a 300 LBS deadlift in a year, that's pretty damn good and he would most likely keep on progressing

If you look up what he is about, it's being strong, athletic, lean, and total body function. It's not about pulling a 650 LBS deadlift and a 500 LBS squat. It's being able to hit good strength standards, being lean, able to perform fast athletic movements, and a low body fat % ie "Train like an athlete".

You want to be a strongman? Don't follow his programs. Want to be a bodybuilder? Don't follow his programs. Want to perform and "look" like an athlete? Follow his programs, as that's their goal and says it at the end of every video

@roadking
built up to a 300 LBS deadlift in a yea

It’s really not. Most people can do waaay better. Especially on a trap bar high handle deadlift.

If you look up what he is about, it's being strong, athletic, lean, and total body function

When you fail to hit basic strength standards you fall on the cope “oh i wanna be athletic and lean” lol it’s all cope. There are 16 year old kids hitting higher strength standards at the same bodyweight.

Want to perform and "look" like an athlete?

All cope. How many of his clients go on to win state or nationa titles? None. His only notable achievement in athletic is being a physio for a pro baseball team, which is impressive, but that’s a case of a professional being given elite athletes that are already successful. As far as i know no one under his guidance went from being average to doing anything notable in regards to athletics.

Also what part of doing a bunch of isolation exercises turns anyone into an athlete?

@dawn16 His 300 LBS I believe was on a straight bar, conventional dead.

Who are these 16 year olds and to who are you comparing them to? Jeff? Jesse? People who follow his program? You aren't giving us a comparison to anything.

Is his claim to his programs "Hey! You 6 foot, 140 lbs basketball player in high school. I'll train you so well, you will get into the NBA!" Hint: it's not. It's about getting people stronger, leaner, bigger, and healthier. Again, you provide no context here. State and National titles for what? Weightlifting? Semi-pro/pro sports?

You obviously don't understand much about what he does based on your comments, especially the last line. Go watch a couple of his videos talking about how to train. Each one says the same thing as it's base: compound functional movements are key. Want to know my last workout on my new month? Weighted chins, DB high pulls, OHP, Barbell reverse lunges, DB step ups, Weighted dips.

@roadking Btw fyi. Jeff is a bodybuilder first, athlete second. For how aesthetic he is, he really is not very strong. It’s clear he prioritizes body composition over athleticism in his training.

@dawn16 I'm having trouble understanding how you think he should be. A powerlifter? Extended cardio like you'll get in many sports is pretty antithetical to that.

I agree a low bodyfat is probably also antithetical to athleticism, but from what I've seen his programs have a majorly 'athletic' bent to them i.e. you won't be doing just squats, you'll be doing explosive singleleg work etc. Some pro trainers are out of shape old men in tracksuits who look like they should be running pizza shops but give their athletes good results. Why does it matter what he looks like or what he can do? It only matters if he knows his stuff and gives good advice based on sound reasoning.

@kimfarmer Jeff has extended cardio? Or he competes in a sport? I don’t think know of anything like that. I don’t really care what he does with his own body, it’s just he’s more focused on looks than performance. It’s very obvious when you look at him, because he looks like a bodybuilder, but his strength isn’t anything crazy.

And again he hasn’t turned anyone into a serious athlete. Every good athlete he has trained, he was given. If he wants to preach about athleticism, he should give some examples of people that got somewhere from his training.

If he is training people to just be more fit then I’ve never seen him do anything exceptional other trains or even free programs can’t do.

This is just a case of fanboying. People pay someone for a fluff and pump program then when they get nowhere they start saying “well I don’t wanna be a powerlifter, I’m training to be an athlete :)

Hint: you are neither

“Strength coach” who has beginners do 25RM squats to failure

@roadking
weighing 173 LBS at a sub 10%

Again, bodybuilder first, athlete second. He is shredded year round so he can market himself, he priortizes that over actual athletic performance. I understand that’s how he makes a living, but his looks are more impressive than most his feats of strength.

Back