Ancient Roman Ladies wore booty shorts, had pink dumbbells, and were also athletes..

robofan

@robofan There were a bunch of other amazing mosaics there too, definitely worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Italy! This mosaic was pretty big, probably about the size of a standard garage door (not the best example but I don't know what else to compare it to, sorry!).

@robofan There's a reference in Aristophanes' comic play Lysistrata to exercises Spartan women do where they kick their butt.

The Spartan woman in the play apparently had a nice ass, too. I recommend the play, it's hilarious, especially when you keep in mind that these are men playing women, written by a man who probably didn't witness tons of genuine interactions between women.

@keegclw Nearly! Athenian aristocratic women were kept at home and were not permitted to socialize with men. Of course it is unlikely that the rules were always followed! It is funnier to think about how bad they were at writing female characters than thinking about contemporary failures. Too real.

Some scholars argue that Aristophanes shows the absurdity of the extent contemporary misogyny had gone! I'm not too sure about that but Aristophanes does like to play around with gender role reversal a lot!!

This has become way beyond the scope of xxfitness but I really like 30 Rock, the Office, and Veep for modern comedy with more diverse and interesting female characters and dialogue.

@dynamitex I agree with you. "Bikini Girls" sounds like a magazine special-issue or a B-series imitation Bond movie lol.

The thing got "discovered" in the 1960s though, I'm sure somewhere on the internet is a version with a less cringeworthy name!