Anybody else into fitness but also chronically ill?

starlight1983

I feel out of place both in chronic illness/disability groups and in fitness groups. I’m fairly fit— I exercise every day and I’ve run a marathon and I eat very well— but I’m not healthy. I’ve got a frustrating number of chronic illnesses and I don’t like it. 🤦‍♂️

I feel like I’m totally out of place because most people who are into fitness don’t struggle with chronic illness and most people with chronic illness aren’t into fitness.

But I know I can’t be the only one. Where are my people who exercise every day but also have to take 10 pills a day to stay alive?

@dawn16 It does help… I know I’d be a lot sicker without it. It just feels weird to be like “oh hell yeah I take such good care of my body!” while also taking so many meds and seeing so many doctors.

@starlight1983 Taking meds and seeing doctors IS you taking care of yourself! But I get what you mean. I think it's cz meds & doctors feel like "sick identity" and exercise & not needing to take meds or see doctors feel like "healthy identity". For myself, I'm really trying to see myself as a healthy person regardless of b my symptoms or how many meds or doctors I need cz I have chronic pain & self perception really matters in my symptoms!

@starlight1983 Yes! I have so many things wrong with my body that even though I am fit, I feel like I am several steps behind where I should/want to be health-wise. I even have a silly little tiktok account that touches on this because I don't know many people who relate.

@starlight1983 I am not Chronically Ill but I am coming into this post medical crisis. I am working on health and wellness and coming into this really debilitated. It's taken forever and I do mean forever for me to get back on my feet and feel human. Started in November now it's February and I do love to do a little something every day. I feel better for it, but even just the minimal I do is a struggle but it feels good to be clawing my way back!

@starlight1983 Yup! I'm a beginner (starting at the gym again after a 3 year hiatus) and I have to remind myself every single day that even though I'm strong and getting newbie gains, I still have to humble myself with the level of activity I can handle or else I'm going to be laid out for a week.

@starlight1983 I train in the gym 3 times a week, mainly on olympic rings. I have a historic spinal l3 fracture, herniated discs, irritation of the facet joints….if that counts as chronic illness?!

@starlight1983 I was up to 22 pills a day. I've dropped that AMA because I'm sick of swallowing pills.

My heart sucks ass and I have some kind of systemic inflammation which leaves my roughly as flexible as a pressure treated 2x6.

It sucks.

@starlight1983 Yep, I'm here. I lost the genetic lottery and got the Reaper's Trifecta (diabetes, cancer, and heart disease), but still work out. I'm ten years past my expiration date so far, so I must be doing something right, lol.

@starlight1983 Hi! I have fibromyalgia and am in varying states of widespread pain a lot. I was really worried that working out a lot would make the pain worse, but I have experienced the opposite - somehow the muscle soreness trumps fibro!