Anyone else have problems with 'burpees'?

youthleader424

I know burpees are supposed to challenge you physically and get your heart rate up but, I am having serious problems. It is all fine and dandy going down and kicking my feet back to be in a plank. My issue comes from bringing my legs back underneath me to hop back to standing. I have to have all of my weight in the front of my hands (fingers) to give myself enough arm height to bring my legs underneath my torso.

To show exact comfortable position it is #5 on the following picture.

Had anyone else ran into this problem? It hurts my hands and my back a bit. I was not flexible before starting to exercise but now I am stretching after warming up every time before I start a routine which has helped to lengthen everything. I am up for any suggestions.

@youthleader424 Try hopping back in with your feet landing just on the outside of your hands instead if inside. With that wider stance you won't be as tucked and you may find you have enough room.

@youthleader424 If you just sit on the ground, can you hug your knees to your chest? I'm basically folded in half at position 5, with my knees right up against my chest before I jump.

My husband and I just did some reps trying to come up with other ideas. One idea that occurs is that your weight may be too far back in the pushup portion of your burpee. We both figured out that we lean forward into the pushup which helps set you up for getting your legs under you in step 5. Of course, neither one of us has an outside party monitoring our burpee technique, so we could also just both have bad habits.

@brick1234 If sitting on the ground I cannot hug my knees to my chest, I've been reading up on stretches that will open my hip flexors and that I hope will bring them in closer. Thank you and your husband, I truly appreciate y'alls input for trying to solve my problem. Shifting my weight more forward didn't help though.