Anyone else struggling with a skill that seems impossible to learn?

@alwaysanxious Penguin taps still won’t work if you don’t have the rhythm and timing right. I can jump and do fast or slow penguin taps, or do the tap slightly earlier or later. Still a good tool to try but they’re definitely not “the” trick.

@discolee Double-unders for me as well, mostly as a result of not consistently practicing them. Like right now, for example. There is a skipping rope on the table 4' away from me... but I'd rather analyze it for days, spend more time outside of class / on the road during work season doing things like deadlifts, burpees, pull-ups, and thrusters that I actually like, instead of just doing the damn skipping.

@discolee Have you tried doing double unders on a trampoline? It slows down the movement a lot, obviously, and allows you to feel and practice the rhythm. You can start with a big trampoline then if you have access to one (and can maintain control on the smaller circle) try a rebounder (exercise) trampoline.

@discolee I encourage you to just keep trying and experiment with different jump ropes too. I still don't have them mastered but the best que I received when first learning double unders was to do a single, then a double, single, double..... and when you're doing the singles, think "small jump, one flick" and then the doubles think "big jump, two flicks"

@jude500 I’m working on as well. Went from not being able to do one to being able to string together 4-5 after practicing 1-2 a week. Not great, but progress! Practice 1-1-1-2 or 1-1-2 patterns. Also, a heavier rope did wonders for me. RXSG buff 3.4 oz rope was a savior. You’ll get there

@marlinkingsley Single/double isn’t a good way to learn them. It doesn’t build rhythm. You’re better off doing high jump singles and then work on your wrist speed.

After dropping the 1/2 method I went from 1 to 30 dubs consistently then hit 100 unbroken within about a year or two.

@theological1988 Yup. I can’t do strict pull ups worth ass, but I can knock out a bunch of kipping pretty easily.

At some point the rhythm just clicked - for me it was focusing on pushing the bar away at the top to set up for the next kip.

@verasoldmine The biggest key to getting a rhythm with kipping is to push yourself away from the bar at the top, don't just fall straight down. Your head/chest should make a C-shaped motion around the bar.

@verasoldmine Not sure how your coaches like to do progressions, but have you tried skipping kipping and gone straight to butterfly?

I can butterfly much easier than kipping - I think it’s the reverse direction on the latter that throws me off.

I feel like butterfly are a lot like normal pull-ups, just with a fast rhythm.

@verasoldmine I have the exact same problem. To be honest I feel heavier doing kipping than doing strict, which makes no sense. I’m practicing hollow and arch positions to see if I improve but when I try to connect everything my brain crashes