What’s your relationship with alcohol?

@cdlara381 I’ve stopped drinking since I’ve been fully committed to my health and fitness.

Last year I didn’t drink at all for a 4 month period and cut down to my leanest in my adult life for the summer. Every time I drank could feel the bloat and erosion of my hard work.

Even as I bulked and started being okay with less definition I disliked feeling bloated and slow the days after drinking.

Drinking in a limited amount (

@cdlara381 I drink on occasion, maybe every 3 months, or on holidays or other celebrations. I don’t feel bad about it but it does remind me why I don’t do it all the time. Makes me feel so bad mentally the next day.

@cdlara381 I am noticing how bad alcohol makes me feel more and more, I’m not sure if it’s because I’m getting older or because I’m using it less (or both) so at this point I never drink at home and avoid it for the most part if I’m like out with friends for dinner, but I will drink at a larger event like a wedding or something.

@cdlara381 I drink maybe once every other month or less than that, mainly just at social events and just enough to remind me why I hate alcohol. However, I consume edibles/vape weed practically every day. Cannabis has tremendously helped my anxiety, muscle recovery, and helped me to stop drinking almost entirely. It’s also great for when you need to bulk and I have had success using it before the gym to help me with mind-muscle connection.

@cdlara381 Zero alcohol for 5 years. I started drinking as a teenager for fun, socially, as I got into my early twenties and became a young mom during college I started drinking wine to “wind down” I started drinking wine more and more in my thirties with the stress of law school and having a young child. I was also smoking cigarettes when I would drink, yet also eating organic and vegan, getting facials to look young, and working out 3-5x a week.

Finally at 35 I realized I was a walking contradiction and wanted to set a better example for my son who was approaching teenager age. I cut alcohol out completely. I feel and look better approaching 40 than I did when I was drinking 3-4x a week. I’ve also had 2 babies in 2 years and can’t imagine what my life (or theirs) would be like if I was stuck in bed nursing a wine hangover.

I have never met one person in my life who regrets cutting alcohol from their life, so that should tell you something! Best of luck to you.

@cdlara381 I some times have a drink or two throughout the week and then definitely usually have a few more on the weekend. I try to get loose but not get a hangover. It's probably not very healthy for me but it's what me and all my friends do. It's not a problem for any of us really. But I live in a drinking city so it's just part of our way life honestly lol

@cdlara381 I used to drink a lot, especially in college. Now I really found a sweet spot for me, which is about one beer (330ml) every 10-15 days with my dad. Or a glass of wine with a nice meal in a nice restaurant. But I don't get drunk anymore. I made way too many stupid decisions while drunk, plus my workouts are terrible when hungover, completely ruins the next day diet and exercise wise. There's no way I can not binge on terrible food the whole next day after actually getting drunk.

@cdlara381 Alcohol is literal poison. Other guys are right when they say that the only healthy consumption is zero. Why would you want to put that in your body anyway? The "effects" you get from drinking it are simply not worth it, imho. Personally, I don’t drink anymore. 34 months since I’ve had my last glass of wine. Not planning on going back ever.

@mohamed1111 My friends and my partner say I’m boring if I don’t drink at parties, so maybe I’m just not getting the hype sober I think, which is why it creates friction with among my friends and my partner at parties

@cdlara381 That doesn’t make you boring! Boo @ your friends & partner… You do realize it’s called peer pressure, right? I mean, it’s a personal choice but what’s fun about hangovers?

@mohamed1111 I don’t really get hangovers almost ever. I think part of the reason is that I almost always vomit if I drink too much alcohol, so it probably gets a lot of it out of my system before I go to sleep. Plus I’m so lightweight that I don’t need to drink much to be tipsy anyway. But I’ve always had a personal problem with drinking, I have tendencies of orthorexia, so every time I drank it made me feel like I’ve done something horrible to myself. And that feeling would always make me feel disappointed in myself.

@cdlara381 Stress and anxiety is harmful to you as well. If having 2-3 beers at a party makes your relationship easier and the outing better, then it's possibly a net positive trade off.

But you're your own person. Could just tell them all to get fucked and do what you want.

@cdlara381 Your friends and partner are pressuring you to partake in an objectively harmful activity so you can entertain them better. This sounds abusive to me. If I had connections with these people I would ask them to respect my life choices, because my long-term health is more important than their temporary pleasure.

Anyone can have social fun sober, but for some personalities it may require an intentional attitude switch. If you know how you want to feel while drunk, try relaxing into the same headspace. The mind is a powerful thing. If you learn to act drunk/tipsy/high, you can achieve a similar-feeling state while not compromising your alertness or judgement.

@cdlara381 Mine usually comes about on the heels of great laughter, and some amount of enjoyment euphoria is usually needed. Depending on the type of high I'm seeking, there are different activities I can do to get in the same realm as that high minus the fog. Like monkeying about in nature and calisthenics for a body high, or singing nice music full volume. For head highs: reading a good story, or creating art, or solving puzzles or games, or having stimulating conversations, or learning about cool stuff through YouTube.

As for relaxing into the high without external stimulation, If a brain gets used to producing certain sets of chemicals, and you figure how that feels through analyzing the physical and mental aspects of the high, then you can try to induce that feeling later. I've had so many green highs that the path is well trodden, so to speak. Meditation can go higher than the plants themselves, and is by definition a calming experience with more personal thought control.

@cdlara381 Several things are true:

Purely from a physical health standpoint - any amount of alcohol is harmful.

The negative health impacts of a single drink is so negligible as to not be noticeable.

From a social health standpoint - it's individual.

I personally don't drink anymore because it just makes me feel crappy.

Back