Bally membership transfer to L.A. fitness?

jamali

Received an interesting call this morning. LA fitness trying to authorize a payment on my (expired) debit card. I called them to find out the deal and it turns out they received my (long ago cancelled) Bally membership details during their corporate Bally buy out.

They then offered to honor my old annual rate at Bally. So, I bit. I bought an LA fitness membership for 129 a year. It seemed too good to pass up. I have a craigslist home gym, but I think it will be great for travel, weekends, and when I'm near the office to be able to work out any LA fitness. Has anyone run into this before?

@jamali Bally cleared out three years ago on Portland. LA Fitness picked up the memberships and have honored the previous rate and other LA Fitness club access ever since. Go for it!

@jamali Background: I used to work for Bally (2001 - 2004)

While LA may be honoring this price, make sure this is not just a teaser rate to get you back and signed on a longer term deal. Bally used to do something similar, but on the back end your rate would go up after the year, most time doubling.

If LA's memberships are down and they are being true, this could obviously be a great deal. If not, just make sure you can truly cancel when you want.

Question: was your membership in the Minnesota area?

@napolic "Home gym" was FL and I live in GA. I read the cancellation information and set up my calendar to call well before I auto renew to make sure this rate is locked. Good looking out though. Thanks.

@jamali If the rate holds, do it. I have a DIY home gym but still renew my 24hr fitness for $115 yearly. It's worth it to be able to hit the treadmill during bad weather, hang in the steam room, or have a shower if my water ever goes out.

@jamali Thats awesome. I pay $30 / month for LA fitness, also near atlanta. I go to the one near my house on the weekends, one near work on weekdays.

@jamali Yes my Dad has had a Vic Tanny > Bally membership for almost 30 yrs. his membership transferred to LA fitness at $40/yr. yes, $40! Back in the day Vic Tanny sold lifetime platinum memberships that were very expensive, but renewals were dirt cheap. Ballys bought them out and honored it. Now LA honored it. He doesn't use it anymore but still pays the renewal just because its so little. He's almost 70 and is thinking about getting back in especially for the pool and sauna.

@jamali I know this is a very old thread. Does anyone know what is the value today March 9,2024 ? We were a Bally’s member (premiere plus lifetime membership). We got the letter from Bally that Lafitness wanted to honor our existing membership with Bally. Our new LAFITNESS membership start 2011. We only pay 60 bucks a year per member the transfer fee is 100 bucks. I wonder if we decide to sell our memberships how much?

@dawn16 LOL, Confusing LA Fitness with Planet Fitness? Not to go down the anti PF rabbit hole, but I would not join a gym without a squat rack or barbells and my local PF has neither.

Back