Is this dumb? Why can’t I enjoy my free gym options? Just get the expensive membership?

@dqmwfan Thank you! I have about a year’s long log of workout pdfs saved from Lift with Sohee that I previously subscribed to, and they came with home workouts. So I am pretty comfortable with what I would do weight wise, but for some reason it’s not hitting the way it did in the gym.

@jay1969 Do you like CrossFit, kickboxing or wrestling? If they don’t sound appealing, take them off the list. I think the most practical thing would definitely be to experiment with different audio training apps and commit to trying to establish a routine at one of your free options for a month, realistically you have everything you need to get fit and it’s more of a mental motivation thing, which something like Aaptiv might be able to help.

BUT, if you can afford it, will use it, and are willing to pay for the luxury, go ahead and join Equinox. Years ago I decided to shell out $150/month for an Equinox membership next to my work and decided to maximize it by going twice a day and trying all their classes. I’d do a spinning class most mornings at 6am, shower (their shower products were a nice perk) go to work, then go back after work for another class, sauna, and shower. I got in the best shape of my life and then switched to a $30/month basic gym and kept it up for a few years before falling off the wagon. I wouldn’t do that now because my life is different and I wouldn’t be able to “maximize” my membership with the classes and time right now, but it was great at a time when my life mostly revolved around work, I wasn’t married and didn’t have kids and was kind of depressed, and the luxuries of the fancy gym, everything from the locker room products, sauna, eucalyptus towels, infused water, combined with the classes, which were truly top notch, made going an actual joy in my life and something I actively looked forward to.

@dawn16 Unfortunately, Cross Fit, wresting, kickboxing do not appeal to me in terms of a full-time workout basis. I would try kickboxing in the future when I am already in better shape and a bit bored.

I hear you on maximizing the membership and it not suiting you much anymore. I doubt I’d keep this membership for many years, but I should also mention I may or may not be leaving the country in 8 months for almost a year for a project. So there’s a big part of me that wants to maximize my remaining time in the US to get in great shape, then when abroad I will already be in the habit and also leading a more naturally active lifestyle as my work would not be sedentary. And also because life is short and feels shorter when you think you might leave the country lol

@jay1969 Go for it then, it really kickstarted things for me and I truly enjoyed my membership. I still look back on that time fondly, the spa atmosphere and all the luxury extras in addition to the mood boost the classes gave. Since you’re moving you’ll be able to get out of the contract when you need to so that makes things easier.

@dawn16 I did what you said! (“experiment with different audio training apps and commit to trying to establish a routine at one of your free options for a month”) Used the Peloton app and various home workout stuff st my aunt’s house in Texas, my moms (much nicer, and complete) apt gym, and my own apt gym. Ive been consistently working out about 4-5 days a week since Christmas despite work being worse than ever and traveling too much.

Now that ive settled in I am confident that I absolutely want a full gym to keep this up. My apt gym actually felt worse than my aunts upstairs dumbbell/mat set up. And I’ve confirmed it’s because it’s too lonely and isolated. And the equipment is very hit and miss. I get paid well to work a lot of hours, im gonna cherish the ones I have to myself. My workouts recently really helped me get through the past couple weeks especially at my mom’s apt because i rarely had to compromise an exercise due to the equipment. Add sauna, locker rooms/shower quality, access to people, in person classes, workspaces, and proximity to my office — it’s a done deal.

@jay1969 I know a lot of people who don’t workout well in their apartment gym.

Whenever I had an apartment gym I would just use it for taking a twenty minute treadmill walk or something…just something to squeeze in some movement on an otherwise busy and inactive day.

But if I ever want to get a big workout in…I go to the big gym. I just like big gyms. I like being around other people who are also working out hard (as long as it’s not completely overcrowded). I like being away from where I live (so my mind can go somewhere else.).

Makes sense to me.

I’d say…if you literally can’t afford the big gym…then you have to make the apartment gym work and get past some stuff…usually it’s possible and takes brute force at the beginning but habits are pretty strong once started. Everyone has to do that with one thing or another. But, if you can afford it, and are avoiding it because you think you “should” do this or that…those are just random rules and “shoulds” you are imposing on yourself.

@jay1969 Another user wrote about this, but I second it. See if you can get a routine going at your apartment gym. I wanted to get back into working out but I couldn’t find a gym I wanted to really commit to. There were just too many options and it was overwhelming. But my free apartment gym was pretty lacking (or so I thought) in machines and weights, but had just enough where I could get a good start. I told myself I’d start off there and if I could get going and really committed, I’d revisit joining a gym.

Fast forward 1.5 years and I’m still going strong at my apartment gym. It was not a fast start. Took a lot of self motivation to keep going and basically me being on my own ass. But I found my routine and once I started seeing progress I basically latched onto it and now I really don’t see any need to go pay for a gym with tons of people when I have a free one that’s basically empty all the time.

I honestly don’t think I would have had the same results if I had started at a membership gym. The convenience of the apartment gym actually made it easier to talk myself into going on those days I didn’t want to.

@robinlynn1976 I support this fully and I will do this as much as possible until at least the new year. I can’t say it will change my mind on the apartment gym just because I will be out of town and untable to utilize it. But I got a free trial for the Peloton app and I think some combo of guided walking/running/biking and either yoga or some type of quick weight workout will discipline me while away. Unfortunately I will not have many/any weights while away and that’s the hard part, as I’m not actually much of a cardio person hence why I thought an expensive membership would align with my goals to work out more often in order to mix cardio in via classes and lifting.

I will say, I think I feel a bit shut-in despite going into the office 2-3x a week and socializing on weekends. So I’m not sure how much I benefit from the “convenience”, I’ve only enjoyed something like that during covid after not working out for a year — so if I am truly desperate and have no other option I am capable it seems lol. I wish I could get over it sooner but history shows I will have to reach rock bottom and even then I ran to the gym the minute things opened again.

@jay1969 Ah totally understand the shut in thing. I’m kind of the opposite as I travel for work, so getting out of the area isn’t much of a priority for me, but I can see how it would be for others.

I hope you find out the best fit for you!

@jay1969 It depends on what motivates you! I joined F45 and I love it! I love the class environment, the structure, and the coaches. To me, it’s worth it 100%! If it was just a regular gym I wouldn’t have the motivation or know what to do lol.

@natk Ah totally understand! As much I sound extremely unmotivated (I pretty much am) I usually love the gym and going solo. The class aspect is just to push myself into the 4-6 day a week schedule, I am both sad and happy classes don’t motivate much by themselves (expensive if you wanna do it constantly). Lifting weights 5 days straight always felt complicated and unnecessary. At my “peak” (post 2020) I ran one or two days in between using C25K. I did enjoy fitness blender in 2021 when I was getting back into it though, and that was like a guided workout which I think may be key to enjoying working out at home and staying motivated to finish.

@natk Ooh good suggestion - a class-based gym like this might be a good thing to try! Joining Orange Theory is what got me into the habit of working out consistently. Paying a little more made me not want to skip classes and working out in a group setting was surprisingly motivating.

I did end up cancelling and rejoining a normal gym, but it really did help me build a great foundation.

@blessedb Yes, I refer to them as fitness cults 🤣 my sister is big into Pure Barre! I think finding a fitness cult that you like and works for you is very beneficial!

@natk I LOVE Pure Barre!! I’ve been thinking about joining a YMCA or Lifetime Fitness but they don’t have barre classes as often as I want to take them or during or after my working hours. So I might just stick with Pure Barre. Wish it wasn’t so expensive though. 😭😭

@jay1969 I have a lifetime membership and my partner and I pay $400 a month. Honestly, I’ve been going to the gym 3-6 days a week and taking classes to definitely make sure I am getting my money’s worth.

Also, these gyms imo are less crowded and have more machines, so I’m never really waiting around for equipment and they have all the niche equipments as well.

@skatergurl I’ve been working out at home and now that i’m aiming for that 4-6 days of activity (the 6th likely outdoors once it’s warmer), I noticed how much I appreciate having flexibility with classes! (virtual Peloton classes at the moment) I can’t and shouldn’t lift 4-5 days anyways (in terms of my health goals), and getting the aerobic work I want requires more running than I can be motivated to do for the next 6-12 months at least.

I learned being away from home with family that the solitude/lack of social energy is likely killing me more than anything else. I’ve been really good exercises for the past 2-3 weeks working with some dumbbells, a mat, outdoor runs/walks, and Peloton classes, but it hit me after a few days it’s the fact that I’m in a full house that I am way better at buckling down and waking up early. Ironically biggest reason I’ve bit the bullet and got the gym membership at Equinox, with the classes as a close second.

@skatergurl I’ve been debating switching from my Pure Barre studio to Lifetime fitness because for the same amount as a Pure Barre unlimited package I could get everything under the sun including Indoor Tennis Court access and the Spa at Lifetime. However I LOVE my barre classes and the Lifetime fitness here only offers them once a week that I could maybe attend with my work schedule. I’m currently paying for 4 classes a month at Pure Barre ($60/m) and ideally I would like to be going 2-3 times a week. But that would be expensive when I also have a free apartment gym. But I never use it!! I also have at home workout equipment and I never use them!

@emmagrace Can you swing by both? Or how many lifetime gyms do you have in your area?? There’s 4 near me, so I route between them for classes depending on my schedule. I can see how if you only have one tho, then you’re locked in on just one schedule.

But, ya I never use my apartment gym either, hike workouts?? lol never worked for me, or any other gym memberships honestly. I love lifetime (I do wish we had an equinox) but it’s just soooo nice and well kept. And you also have yoga, stretching, cycling, and other classes. And I love the indoor tennis courts!

Also, my main lifetime has pool parties during the summer! So personally I feel like even if the price tag is steep it’s worth it! Also, check with your health insurance, some of them will offer a discount on memebrrships! And if you can swing a couples membership(they don’t check, I applied online and they didn’t ask for any proof) you would get a small discount splitting.