Barbell Racks and Pads?

darongeorge

(Not sure if this goes on a thread but, let me know and I'll move it!)

Hi reddit! I have a few questions that I am hoping to get help with. I'll summarize my q's below but some background: I recently started using the squat rack for squats and really like it (before I was using preweighted smaller dumbbell). I am not sure exactly where I am placing the bar on my back. My gym's rack is not in front of a mirror and I go to the gym alone. I know there is upper and lower placement of barbell and know you're not supposed to place it on your neck, but on traps right? I tried doing this and it just kind of felt uncomfortable. I was also looking into getting a barbell pad because the barbell does feel uncomfortable at times. After doing some research however, I saw people saying not to get a barbell pad because it changes your center of gravity and squat, is this true? Is a barbell pad worth it or should I avoid it? I may get a simple small one for hip thrust (currently using a towel), is there a difference between the two below?

Pad A: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...nkAhWPsZ4KHQbsD0oQMwjDASgAMAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Pad B: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...nkAhWPsZ4KHQbsD0oQMwjIASgEMAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Thanks in advance!

Q's: 1) Exactly where does the barbell go on a standard back squat? 2) Should barbell pads be used? Does it change the mechanics of a squat? 2) Comparison of the two pads?

@darongeorge I personally don't like squatting with a barbell pad. I do find that it shifts my center of gravity and I don't feel safe when performing my lifts. I don't wear shoes either. I used to hate the feeling of the bar across my back - was very uncomfortable - then I realized I was putting in the wrong place. Alan Thrall does a great how to video on lower bar squatting which is my personal preference. Generally speaking, keep your grip on the bar narrow, squeeze your traps, and keep your elbows pinched to your sides and up. This will create a natural shelf for the barbell to rest. On me it hits just slightly above the middle of my rear delts. I do have a very bad habit of letting the bar drift up too close to my neck, so once I unrack my barbell, I will usually roll it down my back slightly by playing with the wrist movement until I know it's at the right spot and my wrists are also in a comfortable position.

In regards to your question about the two pads you linked above, the Black Foam Barbell Pad is a lot thicker and will probably be better suited for hip thrusts imo. If you have foam mats at your gym, you could also roll one up and slide it under the barbell for additional comfort if you don't want to spend the money. I have heard of people getting the second barbell pad you linked if they have a garage gym and the metal becomes excessively cold/hot or if they are very sweaty the bar starts sliding around on their back too much which could be dangerous. There have been a handful of moments in my life where I did get so sweaty that the bar actually slid off my back.

@sandis Thanks for your input! I will look up Alan’s video. I can totally see how the foam pad would be better for hip thrusts, especially in a time when I am trying to increase weight. I was thinking about rolling up a mat but my gym has like 5 mats (which I think is not enough) so I’d kinda feel like a hog using two mats if someone was waiting. Thinking of investing in a pad!

@darongeorge Pull your shoulders back like you're pinching your shoulder blades together on your back. The bar should go on the meat of your upper shoulders. It shouldn't hurt, but you will feel it (it is metal). If you keep your back straight and your shoulders pulled back, you shouldn't have any problem with the bar hitting your bones or anything. Definitely go by feel, not by using a mirror. You will get more comfortable with is as you go.

@darongeorge Absolutely get a pad like the one in link B for barbell hip thrusts.

The problem with using a pad for squats is that is actually makes the barbell less stable on your shoulders. I switched from a high bar to a low bar position about a year ago and have found I prefer it. You don’t really need a mirror for positioning; you want to be able to find where to rest the bar by feel.

There are lots of videos out there - I’m biased, since this is my coach, but I’ve found her very helpful.