Puny person in upstairs apartment adding barbell to routine

@shemystique Bench and squat. I wouldn't mind a pullup bar, but I do have one mounted in a doorway already. The doorway pullup bar is lower than a squat cage bar might be, but that's more of a bonus feature. I've considered a pulley or something to add on later as a pull-down attachment, but honestly I don't know if I need to go that whole-hog yet.

@rob01 is there a particular reason you want a full cage/barbell setup versus doing variations of those moves on dumbbells?

the reason i ask is because it seems like a lot more trouble than it’s worth especially if you dont plan on lifting too heavy. Personally, i wouldn’t use a rack that wasn’t bolted to the ground even if you’re not lifting beyond a plate (45lbs) because of safety. im not familiar with the racks you’re interested in but i question their durability. especially if youre lifting at home alone.

@shemystique A few reasons. 1, I already have the barbell and a few plates, and I find it fun. 2, while I'm not expecting to lift heavy by any weightlifting standards, I AM trying to get stronger and more muscular. I just have muted expectations and want to emphasize that I'm not necessarily doing the heavy lifting some are doing in the gym.

I've been doing a dumbbell-only routine for a number of months now and certain exercises seem like they could be better fit to a barbell.

@rob01 you can get stronger and more muscular with dumbbells though?

im not trying to rain on your parade. if you really wanna do the rack setup, go for it! but know that you can achieve your goals with bodyweights, an adjustable bench, and dumbbells—yes you may have to buy heavier ones or adjustable ones for flexibility BUT it’s much less cumbersome than installing a STURDY rack in your apartment—especially based on the stage of fitness you’ve described yourself to be in. maybe this will change once youve lifted more and heavier, but i dont think it’s necessary to install one right now if thats what your reasoning is.

@shemystique No worries, nothing is rained on. I know I can get stronger with dumbbells but they still seem more limiting than a barbell. I have the space (albeit within an apartment), money, and find the idea of a barbell fun.

With a dumbbell bench press I can do 19.5 to 22 lbs (each hand) x 12 reps but have a little trouble with stabilization and keeping each arm aligned. It feels difficult to progress. With the barbell I tried 63 lbs bench press x 3 reps and felt like it was easier to push myself to lift heavier in the range of a few reps. (Stupidly doing that without a rack or anything so that's just what I could "safely" do to get a range there.) I don't feel like I can do that with dumbbells (lift heavy enough to only do a few reps.) I could probably go a little heavier with the barbell than I did, and it just seems like it would still add something to the workouts that dumbbells don't. I'll still be using dumbbells as well either way.

@rob01 I've been working out with dumbbells for 2 years, then added barbell.

I found it much easier to progress with the barbell, just as you thought. Esp. for squats and deadlift, with the dumbbells, alwas one or another small stabilizing muscle hurt (I was using quite heavy dumbbells for deadlifts, though).

The dumbbells are still great for auxiliary work.

@ahiah1 Thanks for confirming! Even though I’ve made decent recent progress with dumbbells, I’ve always had trouble building strength and not just plateauing at a low level so anything that makes it easier to keep incrementally progressing sounds like a good route to me.

@rob01 If you can find it, I recommend this .

The black bar in the middle along the floor can be taken out completely so that you can store everything quite flat! Shove it under a bed or into a closet! Its a compact, apartment friendly and safe ofption.

@rob01 Yes, the width is adjustable. Its also seems stable enough that you could use the barbell to do inverted rows or self-assisted pull ups if you put it to the max height!

I would have bought it myself, but alas, I have zero faith in my rickety apartment floors managing my weight (217lbs) plus the weight I'd like to lift, since I intend to go heavy. Since you plan on doing light work, it should he fine.

@hidden_one there are small apartments that have 2-4 units-a ton where i live! so assuming you know and trust your neighbors a decent amount, it’s not such a bad idea bc the floors are easier to work with and more weight bearing. ive seen it done before!

@shemystique I don't have a garage but I do have a room in my apartment already dedicated to being my home gym. Just wondering what additional equipment is feasible or best to add to what I'm already using.

Back