Best way to increase conditioning

godsloveforme

M30, 5’9, 203 lbs
My background: 2y aikido, 2y wushu, 1y karate, 1y BJJ, 1y at gym and couple of running season. And last 7 years lot of work.

In the beginning of the year I’ve noticed that my testosterone is low, I’ve tried dieting, hCG with a doctor, now I’m on testosterone.

I do some running 2-3 miles 2-3 times a week and some workout with my own weight (my maxes is about 10 pull-ups, 30 push-ups, 40 bw squads.

But I’ve started to notice that I loose weight very slow. And I have lack of stamina it bed. Sometimes I play airsoft and I see that my conditioning sucks..

I have options:
1) Prepare for the half/marathon and to lots of running
2) Continue to work with my own weight
3) Try something like StrongLifts 5x5 in gym
4) BJJ
5) Boxing or Muay Thai.

What will be the best option to lose weight, increase conditioning and stamina?

@godsloveforme Your stamina sucks because you are quite overweight.

Option 2. You need to focus on option 2.

Count calories and set a goal to lose 1 pound a week until you hit your target weight. Do a mix of cardio and resistance training that you enjoy 3-5 days week while on your weight loss journey.

@godsloveforme The best option to lose weight is to eat less calories.

The best option to increase conditioning is to do something related to the thing you want to be conditioned for. Conditioning for running is different than conditioning for bjj is different than conditioning for lifting weights.

The best option to increase stamina is steady state aerobic activity.

@godsloveforme Run SLOWWWW, try to keep your HR low. Stay in that zone 2, 116-134bpm. Don’t focus on the miles, focus on time. Try to get to 1 hr without stopping. As you slowly progress work in some interval training. Aerobic, Threshold, and Maximum heart rate zones.

@godsloveforme Lower you calories. Losing 10kg would probably help more than anything.

If you are running 2-3 times per week and not having the Stamina you want then maybe exercise alone won't get you there.

Thoughts:
  1. would likely increase your calories out and involve a lot of up and down off the mats, which would help you hit your goals.
  2. Bag work also is great for stamina and fitness.
Some sort of barbell/dumbbell/kb complex type work.

eg one of my favorites is Trap Bar Deadlift/Incline Press/DB Row 3-5 rounds... but program whatever exercises you like most try to hit all your main movement patterns.

10000 KB swing challenge. If you can get through the boredom of it, you should have good stamina by the end.

@godsloveforme If you want to lose weight, the fitness wiki has a guide. It comes down to calories in vs. calories out.
  • The calories in portion is addressed by eating less and/or less calorie dense foods
  • The calories out portion is all about how much you move around. Lifting is cool but burns less than cardio.
  • For most people calories in is way easier to affect to a significant degree than calories out, especially since high levels of activity can make you hungrier.
For conditioning you'll have to do a lot or something very hard, or some combination of the two.
  • For sheer volume of work, try upping your daily step count
  • A weekly long run also has a lot of value. See if you can fit in a longer one, starting at 5 miles.
  • There's the idea of being stronger than you need to for a task. Almost everyone can walk up a flight of stairs, but for some people every step feels hard. Lifting can help with that - that might be SL5x5, or better yet a program from this list.
    • Adding in lifting doesn't mean you have to cut out your bodyweight training. You could tack that on at the end of a your program, or on different days.
  • Your bodyweight pullups, pushups and squats are decent - but have you tried cutting rest times or supersetting the exercises?
    • Burpees are another excellent option. Try doing 100 in as short time as possible.
  • Conditioning can also be trained with weights. Kettlebell swings, cleans, jerks and snatches are excellent. There's also Armor Building Complex where you grab two kettlebells and do 2 cleans, 1 press and 3 squats - 5 minutes of as many sets as possible will have you sucking wind for minutes.

@godsloveforme Hey bro,

I’ll let you know my experiences and what I did to gain a good amount of stamina.

As an amateur, I trained my ass off to get in perfect shape. My coaches told me that a lot of amateur fights are won because of superior stamina.

If you can gas out your opponent and continuously move forward and show the judges, that you are the aggressor, then you will probably win. This is especially important for less experienced and less skilled boxers.

Which exercises I used:

When I were in fighting shape, I had pulse of 35 beats per minute. A low resting pulse is a good indicator of good stamina1. Here’s a list of things I did to achieve such a good shape:
  • 30-45 minutes of rope skipping, without any break.
  • Between 6 and 12 rounds of hill sprints. 3 minutes each round.
  • 10*100 meter sprints. Rest 1 minute between rounds.
Read more…