Brooke Wells to HWPO

@jobob_0 Good choice, but at one point is it that someone just hit their peak? I’m not trying to hate, but it’s not always everyone else’s fault lol.

@akingbade
  • Brooke won a regional when she was 19
  • Brooke cleaned 270 when she was 20. With no real coaching she was as strong as Laura is right now.
For years, Brooke was the best raw athlete in the field. It’s net even close. But she never won anything. The problem is between her ears. It doesn’t matter who her coaches are.

@akingbade Brooke won a regional with zero coaching and one year experience. Mal had a string of professional coaches. Brooke is the best woman athlete to ever do CF and it’s not even close. Brooke also could have been an SEC track athlete.

best athlete? Really?

Yeah. Here’s Brooke hitting a 265 CJ at 18 years old, no coach, no experience with CF

Brooke was as strong as Laura. In high school. With no coach.

But Brooke doesn’t WANT to win the games. She has more natural talent than Tia by a mile. Tia at 18 was a skinny kid who shaved the side of her head and struggled with 95 lbs. Brooke already had elite strength.

But Brooke doesn’t really want it. I hope she figures that out before she spends yet another year killing herself for IG likes and a mediocre games result.

@thunderstruck That is nonsense! Tia was scouted by Aus Oly lifting because of her lifts in a local CrossFit comp. She was hitting very impressive weights in her first proper year doing it. That's not to discredit Brook but your comparison is way off so I just think you're a Brook fan person and a bit blind to reality

Edit for quote: Toomey lifted her then-best 85 kg (187 lb) clean and jerk at a CrossFit competition in September 2013 after training for only 6 months,[9] and her performance caught the attention of the weightlifting coach Miles Wydall. He later offered to coach Toomey on weightlifting and encouraged Toomey to try to get to the Rio Olympics representing Australia. After just 18 months of serious weightlifting training, she qualified for the Olympics when she finished third at the 2016 Oceania Weightlifting Championships with a combined lift of 194 kg (428 lb).[25]

@enochswalk
18 months of serious weightlifting

Brooke hit that 265 CJ without any serious weightlifting training. With Tia’s work ethic…but she doesn’t have it.

Brooke also beat Tia on 1RM c&j by 20 lbs when they were both babies in 2015. The difference is the ensuing years is that Tia went to work and Brooke became an IG influencer.

Tia is living proof that effort beats talent. We love Tia and her hard work has made her the greatest crossfitter of them all. But raw talent? It’s not even close.

@enochswalk Name calling? Wow that makes you sound really confident. I actually know both Brooke and Tia. I was involved in working with each of them for a few CBD promos they did for a company named Beam. I like them both equally. They’re really nice people who always made time to talk to anyone who approached them.

Anyway, I’ll assume you had a little emotional outburst there and we’ll move on.

Brooke has terrible form. Awful. This supports my point perfectly. It’s all talent with brooke - she didn’t even bother to learn HOW to lift and still became a repeat top 10 finisher.

@thunderstruck The only emotional response seems to be coming from you, rather ironically.

She has particularly bad form when she's so desperate for weights she will damage her body to get that little bit more. That's not raw talent - that's just shortsightedness. HWPO may help her there at least - it'll be interesting to see how they all get on in 2024

@thunderstruck 8 years ago when that video was uploaded she was 20, 2 years of professional coaching. But I get what you’re saying- i do think it’s a little egregious to say she doesn’t want it.

@reneesinz45 Find another one who was recruited for track to an SEC school and could CJ 265 at age 20 with no actual weightlifting coaching.

Most of the women have had years of formal training and coaching, and still can’t get that number. Only Laura made it in the games, no one else is close.

Brooke is the classic example of how CrossFit diminishes outstanding athletic ability Since then, she’s gotten weaker and slower. The morons at comp train put her on the same training program as Katrin. Katrin is a classic, slow twitch and high-volume athlete. Brooke is the complete opposite. This is one of the reasons Brooke has been at the same level of CrossFit since about 2015 despite significant athletic gifts. The rest of the issues are between her ears.

Anyway, I’ll be here while you work on finding an athlete on the women side with that much natural talent. No hurry.

@thunderstruck You act like she wandered into a crossfit gym after a storied career as a D1 star.

She was a self-admitted mediocre track and field athlete who left to peruse crossfit as she thought she'd be more competitive there. She also didn't just randomly start crossfit, her father had been training both girls with crossfit the entire time they were track athletes.

Brooke is great, but the results speak for themselves. Be it in D1 or crossfit, she peaked as a mid-tier athlete.

Feel free to continue simping as much as you'd like.

@reneesinz45 You’re putting a lot of words in my post

I never said that. Never implied it. Why are you putting words in my post?

Now instead of doing that, tell me who the better athletes are. Tell me who else could CJ 265 at age 20. Tell me who else was recruited to a big time conference for sports

Come on dawg, you thought it was funny, now post your stuff.

@thunderstruck You keep mentioning that 265 lb C&J, but given that her max is listed as 255 on her CF Games page, and based on the fact that she lifted 221 lb in 15.1A and also considering how there's no assortment of plates that would make this lift 265 (it looks like 235), well... It's obviously not 265.

EDIT: She shared the clip of her then C&J PR at that same event in november 2014. It's a different clip, but she lifted 250 lb. Yours does appear to show 235 lb as I suspected.

@thunderstruck Danielle Brandon was a more successful D1 track and field athlete than Brooke and has placed higher at the games.

There are other female D1 athletes and former pro athletes in the games and masters division.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. You said it made her worse, I say she's the mid-tier athlete she's always been.

You're the one cherry picking specific metrics that don't matter. The athletes with the highest snatch and c&j have never been consistent champions, especially in the women's division.

NCAA and Crossfit Games rankings speak for themselves.

@reneesinz45 DBE never in her life gonna CJ 265. She was a pole vaulter. Not a runner not a thrower, not an SEC school. You came here with a pole vaulter? Why’d I even bother?

For anyone else out there:

CF tests fitness not athletic ability. The best athlete on the men’s side is James Townsend. He’s doo doo at CF but he’s one hell of an athlete.

Back