C&J/Bench Press ratio

pilgramspirit

I’ve never seen these lifts compared. Mine is 1:1 which seems about average for males. I’d guess females would be a little higher (stronger C&J)

What is yours?

@pilgramspirit I dont think it really makes sense to compare bench and clean and jerk. I would look at the bench to OHP ratio.

Unless you're just comparing arbitrary numbers that dont really mean anything.

@jape Charles Poliquin compares the bench Max to the behind neck press ratio, looking at shoulder health. I think he said the Behind neck press should be %50 of your bench. Might have been more.

@dawn16 Ok bud. Tell that to 50+ years of body builders and Weightlifters.

It doesn't have to be full range of motion. I use to have problems because I was doing down to the shoulders, but now I just go to about ear height and it feels great.

@noname5137 Most of them have major shoulder issues. I haven't met one certified coach or trainer that recommends behind the neck presses. There really isn't much need, you can get everything you want out of that, from DB presses and upright rows

@dawn16 I just named one who recommends it. He happens to have trained (I think) 34 Olympic athletes.

You don't have to do it, but you shouldn't avoid it just because you've heard they're bad. I feel like they hit muscles that don't get hit in the same way with any other presses. All movements are tools.

@pilgramspirit Our box doesn’t bench much at all and been doing CrossFit for about 5 or so years now. My C&J is about 15-20% higher than my bench with bench at 235 ish and C&J at 275. I would assume a number of factors play into this ratio like age, sex, familiarity with C&J, and frequency of bench and/or other power lifts. With C&J being a very technical lift, one tweak in form can make a drastic difference in the weight able to be lifted.

@pilgramspirit data at OPEX suggests somewhere that a 1:1 ratio between power clean and close grip bench is indication of good balance for sport of fitness (holding other things like newness to the power clean movement/bench and stuff constant)

can't remember where I read this but if you Google it I'm sure it'll come up

@kelly33 That sounds pretty crazy... BW 185, I can front squat 285, bunch my 1RM bench is probably around 205 (best recorded is 195, but it's been a little while since I tried, 5x5 Bench@175 was the last bench I did). C&J 1RM is 200-205 (been a while for a 1RM too, just did a triple@195 though).

@kelly33 320lb front squat and bench press here. IMO its not that balanced though. With bench numbers like mine i one would expect squat and deadlift to be atleast 40 lb better than mine. Clean and jerk is 265 or its like 1.2 ratio.

edit: I just used https://symmetricstrength.com/ and seems like my numbers are pretty balanced after all. Live and learn i guess.

Back