Calculating how much the games athletes won

@lcaveman75 I mean, the bottom line is you are of the opinion that they shouldn't be compensated (same as Reebok's opinion), and I think they should at least have some basics covered. You can justify your stance however you want. I am against people paying out of pocket largely for the benefit of Reebok. That's it.

As an aside, we most certainly don't have pure free market capitalism in the United States anyway.

@jcevin
As an aside, we most certainly don't have pure free market capitalism in the United States anyway.

I never said we did. But you're saying a private company should reduce it's profit margins for the sake of....what again? Your opinion of what's "fair"?

Private companies operate to maximize profit for owners. Any other intentions (assuming all legal obligations are met) are purely at the discretion of the company, who is free to operate however they please.

@jcevin HQ doesn't pay for anything like transportation etc.

However, it's not exploitation. None of us are coerced into competing. The NCAA is a de facto minor league for football and basketball, and they use this as leverage to coerce athletes into accepting their shitty terms in order to progress their career. The coercion is what makes the NCAA an exploiter.

None of these elements are present in the Games.

@sand8900 Still did; hence why Kara Webb had her elbow sleeves inside out and everyone was wearing their Reebok apparel. Fun fact about Mat Fraser; he trains everyday in both--met him a few times, trains in Reebok leading up to the games so it doesn't throw him off.

@itiswellwithmysoul78 I think a lot of athletes that have other sponsorship do this too. My roommate competed on a Team that finished inside the Top 15 (humble brag) and they all got a pair of weaves prior to Games to break them in and get used to them, since they were sponsored by New Balance.

@dawn16 Who sent the weaves, Reebok or New Balance? It wouldn't surprise me if New Balance bought all their competitors Reebok gear to train in. I know it's commonplace in hockey to do things like that.

@brojerry unclear, but that's a good question. i'll have to ask him and get back to you. they have an agent/manager that organizes sponsorship and the like, so i imagine it ran through that person.

@newlymarried5 What would be really interesting...a skins style competition. Earn moolah based on placement. Earn bonuses for PRs during competition. Earn bonuses for deltas in PRs (difference between previous -> current). Award those that peak during the games. Would be interesting.

Edit: guessing no one is too keen on the idea of getting a nice little bonus for hitting a PR.

@kbay I agree but I was thinking hitting a lifting PR could be a performance bonus. It could help build excitement.

So in a roundabout way, it's a performance bonus.

@newlymarried5 This is so crazy to me. I am sure this will start a bunch of shit, but I do not care. These are elite level athletes, in almost any other sport at this level, athletes are getting paid millions and millions of dollars. First place winner in CrossFit- $285,000.

It just shows a huge gap between sport preferential treatment. These guys easily work as hard as the NFL, NBA, NHL, what have you athletes, but get paid a fraction of the money.

Makes you wonder how many of those stars would be interested in playing at the top tier of their sports if they did not get paid such ridiculous amounts of money.