Calisthenics Intermediate Hypertrophy Program using Dr. Mike Israetel's Volume Guidelines

@cbsmel Is there a way I could implement this onto my split which is upper/lower strength then push/pull/legs hypertrophy?

Edit: Or should I go full hypertrophy?

@cbsmel On the Full Body(3x Week) what does AxBxAxxBxAxBxxREPEAT break out to be?

A Monday, x Wednesday, B Friday, B Monday, A Wednesday, A Friday, A Monday, B Wed...etc?

@cbsmel Just finished day one. Took me 2 1/4 hours. I had to work out a lot of the new positions and progressions. But I've had 67 years go by....

@cbsmel Wow that's so helpful after I did RR now for a year and look for a new routine.

Just a beginner question:

How do you suggest to implement abs exercises( leg raises)?

@cbsmel The guide is fantastic but I think it would be good to mention that traditional dip bars are a lot more accessible than rings. Not to mention ring dips are legitimately incredibly hard, obviously using a lot of stabilises in the movement but the bar dip (being the more controlled movement) I think would be a lot easier to progress on (making hypertrophy gains). And since using rings is allowed/recommended I don't see why someone couldn't fill a backpack with some heavy, hard cover books to give them 10-15 pounds more resistance when doing dips.I only say this because the two playgrounds nearest to my house all have some form of dip bar and theres no way I could find an appropriate space to use rings personally. Other then that, awesome guide!

Oh and a quick note, I went out and spent $25 on a couple good quality resistance bands and they have seriously aided my workouts. I know this is a body weight workout plan but since rings cost just as much if not more, I feel using bands for some rows, biceps curls, shoulder press, pushups, etc is totally awesome. Easy to wrap around the bars at the playground too.

Thanks for the guide, will be following the upper lower split (this is a god sent during the lockdown)

@jabberducki Feel free to swap out exercises. I have mentioned that you can do whatever exercises you like. You can do straight bar dips, normal dips, or even no dips at all if you want. These are just guidelines. As long as you are managing the volume as per these guidelines, you are good to go.

As far as resistance bands are concerned, they are awesome. I also use them but I wanted to make a rings only guide. Again, feel free to swap out exercises.

I appreciate that you like this. Good luck and take care of you and our family in these hard times. Wishing you all the good health.

@cbsmel Thanks mate wishes you all the best as well and appreciate the free workout advice.

Hopefully sometime in the future il get a chance to jump on the rings as well and integrate it into my routine!

Back