Calling all cyclists!

@manihanery Yeah definitely slim pickings at the moment! You can’t really go too wrong even if there isn’t much variety. My first SPD shoes were an ancient pair of second hand Shimanos I bought off someone on facebook for 20 bucks lol. Worth looking second hand sometimes, there’s usually good deals around, especially when you’re making the jump to clipless for the first time. You’ll notice the difference in your riding immediately too, hills and long days are much easier with a nice stiff pair of shoes. For a 2km commute I would totally just rock normal shoes on SPD cleats. That’s what I do and I still jump curbs and can ride out of the saddle in heels with no problem!

@tessal Do you have any bike short/pants recommendations? I currently ride a Trek Dual Sport Women's bike which is a hybrid purchased a few weeks ago for park trails, so am new to riding as an adult. Though I am not going on long rides (only 5 miles or so per ride as I build endurance), I do feel some discomfort after riding on the sit bone area even though I am back far enough on the seat. I am overweight but lack natural cushion in this area and carry weight around the middle.

@eglerion I definitely second what others have said about looking into a different saddle first. As far as shorts goes, my favorite pairs are from specialized and rapha. Both can get pretty expensive but I ordered a bunch of specialized stuff on sale from Mike's Bikes at the beginning of the season and have been loving all of it. Here's a link to the sale

@eglerion I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Sugar shorts that I liked from REI.

Then I got some Louis Garneau shorts, don't remember the model, but so comfy.

Also, The Black Bibs for price-sensitive folks who can't shell out tons of cash for kit.

You may still be in the acclimatization phase, depending on how often you've taken the bike out. If it's only been a few weeks and you ride once a week, that process will take a little while.

@eglerion have you tried a different saddle? 5 miles is quite a short ride to be experiencing discomfort so it may be that your saddle is too wide/narrow for you. Also, if you've only been riding for a few weeks it may just go away on it's own as your body gets used to it. I usually don't wear my padded shorts unless I'm going to be riding more than 15 miles and don't experience any discomfort.

@manihanery Definitely suggest if you're having saddle trouble / bum pain go to a shop and get fitted. They'll sit you on a weird gel chair and recommend the exact width saddle to match up with your anatomy. A+++ do recommend.

Edit: I'm currently posting from my bike/ trainer with a well fitted saddle at 47km and no pain at all.

Back