Caloric Deficit + WeightLifting and Whey? Will it help?

dynasty101

Hi!

I’m currently at 115kg looking to go down to 95 kg as my first goal. I’m also at 180cm and 23 years old.

I’m trying to cut down and was just curious. It’s been 1-2 months since I started going to the gym again to lose weight and build muscle.

My current diet is: 1900 Calories
More of, Mixed Veggies, Fish, and Chicken Breast

Workout Routine is: 4 times a week with 30-1hour cardio and the rest weightlifting.

Also, i’ve only been taking PostJym recovery matrix as my pre-workout just for it’s L-carnitine and Beta Alanine.

Pero, possible ba na ma - add ko ang Whey? Tataba o lalaki ba ako?

May nagsabi kasi sakin na useless lang mag build muscle o weightlift pag nagccut since kakainin lang rin ng energy ko yung muscles at protein.

Thanks, Phitness! :)

@dynasty101 Super misinformed yung last paragraph mo.....

Your deficit looks to be very aggressive. Kung talagang nakaka1900 ka you should be losing a kilo a week or more. Is this actually happening? If not there's something wrong sa tracking mo.

@tony2468 I agree. I’m somewhat new to the gym and dieting. Iba iba nakikita kong opinions online. Ayoko rin magbayad ng PT since nagkaroon ako bad experiences a year back.

Ang diet was just started this week. Consistent naman 7 days na.

Thank you.

@dynasty101 Oki. Track weight properly by weighing in first thing in the morning after going to the washroom para accurate. You should be losing per week kung tama ang deficit mo

@dynasty101 If it's only been 7 days if your calorie deficit, you might not see much difference the first two weeks considering the water weight AND that you're gaining muscle on top of losing fat (which I'm assuming this is simultaneously happening as it happens to mostly gym newbies). Just keep at it. Good luck!

@dynasty101 ensure na you’re tracking everything down to the dot. people would recommend the iifym approach, pero personally I think that makes tracking more complicated kung bago ka lang + might mess up your gut health which could induce cravings etc.

hindi just because you’re not losing weight, wala ka na sa deficit. don’t focus sa weight mo sa scale, kung kaka-start mo pa lang you’re gonna be swollen kaya hindi baba talaga yan. focus on tracking, building routine, recovery, and training to absolute failure, and just track your weight weekly.

you’re gonna feel changes sa body mo like energy levels, mood, etc. and changes sa mirror focus more on that than the weighing scale. hope this helps

@dynasty101 If target mo mag lose weight while also reducing muscle loss in the process suggestion ko are the following:
  • Caloric deficit diet with high protein intake(1-1.5g of protein per kg, laking tulong ng whey dito)
  • Intermittent fasting(medyo nakaka help mag combat ng cravings after maging consistent)
  • If nag incorporate ka ng cardio sa routines mo, do it after weightlifting.
  • Expect mo rin na need mo babaan weights ng exercise mo

@dynasty101 Anything can be consumed in a cut as long as it fits your macros :--) Hindi ka naman tataba or lalaki basta sure ka na 1900 talaga yung tinatrack mo and napapasok mo sa 1900 na yun yung whey na i-cconsume mo if ever.

People do recomp, it's a bit tricky and not everyone can implement it properly and get it's 100% benefit. It's where you're trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. In essence, fat takes up more space than muscle-- so they might not lose weight but their body fat's going down while the muscle mass increases in terms of body composition.

This is to address ur last paragraph, it wouldnt be useless to consume more protein, you want protein so your muscles can work better :--) for those in a cal deficit vs bulk, you'll notice that the latter are stronger and lift better because of increased caloric intake, but you also want more protein in a cut so that you don't lose the muscle u already have (just use the standard protein intake for individuals), whey is optional when u can fit ur protein needs in ur main diet na rin. If you don't consume enough protein in a cut, you can lose weight but also lose muscle mass hehe

@iza I agree with everything said here! This is more of a personal anecdote that may help. Recomp is the ideal method in terms of fatloss, but in terms of progress in strength and muscle mass it's slower compared to people who do lean bulking (high protein and relatively healthy - not dirty bulking haha).
It is really up to you OP how you can adapt and what specific goals you have, are you okay with having a bit higher fat percentage but faster progress in muscle growth and strength (if proper workout program ha) in bulking-then just cut afterwards? Or be in maintenance calorie intake (recomp) to not gain so much body fat but build muscle over a long period of time (months time to see visible progress)?

Depends on your priorities, but there are a lot of options how to approach both your calorie intake and workouts! Good luck to all!

@dynasty101 Tataba ka sa whey. Its calories and may soy concentrate. You will have more water weight than actual muscle mass.

If you want to lose the weight, include the ff
  • low pace cardio (walking of around 3 - 5km ~ for starters) (8km or more ~advanced)
  • watch your gait cycle, check your posture
For weightlifting, more weight is not equal to actual muscle mass so skip the idea of needing to lift the heaviest - in contrast, do the exercises that are not necessarily light but HARD. Those are your improvement areas.

Be injury free and stay consistent.

@dynasty101 I hired a sports dietitian to help me with cutting and then performance nutrition for this round of weight loss. One new thing I learned, and I’ve cut 10kg++ twice before, is you can’t expect to workout intensely and build muscle while on a large deficit. Try to hit your goal weight first with mostly diet and if you want to incorporate exercise, cardio and light weights first. Don’t expect to build muscle because of the deficit. Stop the whey and other supplements and focus on good quality, fresh whole food like veggies, fruits, lean white meats, nuts, etc.

@dynasty101 just stick to it, ensure na accurate tracking mo, and observe how you feel, how you look, energy levels, then adjust your calories accordingly.

first few weeks fluctuating talaga ang weight kasi madaming factors, suggest ko track it lang every week instead of everyday.

also, stick to whole foods 80% of the time. not a fan of the “if it fits your macro” thing as it can affect your gut health