Calorie deficit -> Losing muscle mass. Calorie surplus -> Gaining fat. What to do?

@growingchristian16 How do you know you are gaining fat? Are you measuring yourself with calipers? Are you using a flexible tape measure to measure chest biceps neck etc? Or are you just going off what you see in the mirror? You might be going through a body recomposition in which the scale weight won’t move much, this is the most frustrating and longest process but the most rewarding! What do you mean losing strength? Lifting less free weights? Fatiguing faster? Less body weight reps? Which exercises are you losing strength at?

@adc1990
How do you know you are gaining fat?

Both visually and with a caliper, in the abdomen and kidney area.

What do you mean losing strength?

Less repetitions and faster fatigue when doing the recommended routine. My reps on pull ups (normal and weighted) and hspu were reduced a bit.

I'm not really concerned about the scale, but I find it weird that I was losing endurance or strength in a deficit and not weight.

Even more taking into account I was dancing between 72-73kg before all this, last year.

One thing to take into account is I think my form is better now than a year ago when doing both pull ups and push ups, but still my reps decreased and I can't make it go better.

Currently I do:

- Pull ups: about 7 for 4 series, 5 if +5kg.

- HSPU: 5 on average. 7 on good days.

I think these numbers may go up after this calorie surplus, I dunno if I've been long enough on this surplus to see results already.

One thing I didn't stop improving was dips. I'm at +20kg for 5 repetitions.

@growingchristian16 Form plays a huge role, when I started using proper form on things like push-ups and rows and pull-ups my reps dropped in half and now I’m working my way back up, less momentum swinging and longer pauses have trashed my reps but improved my workouts that could explain the strength aspect.

@growingchristian16 Lmao I remember thinking I was a beast for curling 50# dumbells till I realized I was swinging like I was practicing an uppercut 😂 dropping the weight to 20# and going slow and proper hit my ego but inflated my biceps 😎

@growingchristian16 Are you weighing your food with a scale or just going off package labels? I was blown away when I started weighing food how off the package labels were hundreds of calories in some instances especially for things like ground beef the package makes you think 680 calories (170 calories x 4 servings) but weighing it comes out to like 4.8 servings and 816 calories. One tablespoon of coffee creamer is 35 calories I was eyeballing it and putting in about 2-3 so that was an extra 70 calories, over the course of a week that stuff adds up and was taking me from 200-300 below maintenance to 100-200 above maintenance, once I started weighing stuff and measuring the weight started flying off

@adc1990 I don't understand what you're saying here. The package label tells you how much calories in a serving, and they tell you how many grams is one serving. You weigh out however much grams and convert that to figure out calories. How are you figuring that it's incorrect?

@dawn16 Because some people (most people) assume the package serving sizes are what they get. For example the package of bread says a slice is 28g and 90 calories so you grab 2 for your sangwich thinking 180 calories (2 slices of 90 calorie bread like the package says) but if you weigh it you see the slices weight 62 grams so you are having 199 calories instead of the 180 you thought because you didn’t weigh it. That adds up if you do the same for the cheese on and stuff that was my point is I like most people assumed the servings on the label were what was in the package

@senam Sounds like it's awesome, but I can personally say that's not always the case.

I'm 176cm and I've always been on the skinny side (normal weight for most of my adult life =~65kg, but I've been down to 59 when I was working myself to death bartending 7 days a week 12+h/day).

That being said - a few months ago I got to 75kg, and I felt awful. I felt bloated, slow, clumsy... I got back down to 70kg and I feel like I'm back at being my happy self. (Of course this doesn't apply to people who want to be big - I don't, I only want to be/feel healthy, and 176cm/75kg was not it in my case).

For me 70 is the perfect weight, and no calculator can convince me otherwise.

What I'm trying to say here is that OP probably has his own goals he's trying to reach.

Back to topic:

I'm not a professional, so I won't try to convince you what worked for me would work for you, but what DID work for me was:
  1. High Protein intake (as some people have already said - convert your weight to pounds, and then take 85-100% of that as protein).
  2. Low carb intake - only take enough.
  3. Moderate HEALTHY fats intake.
  4. I completely reworked my feeding times. I was eating way too much way to often, so I cut down to 2-3 good meals a day + protein shakes when necessary.
  5. Probably the most important for ME - don't take it too seriously, don't follow calculators, BMIs, anabolic windows, etc. maniacally. The cliché "It's a marathon, not a sprint" applies here, so do something that is sustainable in the long run.
Anyways, this is my experience, hope it jolts something in you! Good luck, OP!

@growingchristian16 I like this read: https://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories
Got it from this sub

I tend to overthink a lot.

So I was wondering: what is your aim ? Do you want to look cool, do cool tricks, be lean etc?
Or do you want to improve your life and body through BW, be healthy, lean, strong and use your 'trick' to balance out your health?
If it is the latter: just fo Your thing. There is no size fits all.
You will see your body change , embrace it? Be happy with your proper form, that trumps reps always.

Health before form before reps before trick. Imho.

Im a F, 177 and now 72. Was 68 when in summer and walking,hiking in France for hours a day. Now back in wet cold country, BW at home, less walking, gaining but also in more proper form and BW.
I want to weigh 62/63. But I think I wont reach it. I try to keep at 1300 but my metabolism is slow/ hormonal etc. So dont think Ill get there.

I do try to think in this way about it:
http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/why-bodyweight-training.html?m=1

Im an old lady so this guy gives me hope.....

Goodluck OP🍀 Dont stress, enjoy the ride

@growingchristian16 Tbh 1800/1700 sounds pretty low to me for a guy with your measurements. Seems like 1800 worked for you to loose weight, but at one point, if your deficit is too low, you’ll just loose muscle mass. The way you describe it it seems like 1700kcal was def to low for you.
So here is what I would do:
- calculators are wrong. You need to find out your true maintenance. You do so by staying with the same amount of calories for 2 weeks. Weight every day, average weight per week. You loose -> you’re in a deficit and should up your calories by 100. You gain -> surplus, lower cals. NEAT, Workouts and other activities should stay the same ofc
- once you know your maintenance you can go into a slight deficit. Not more then 300-500 cals. More doesn’t help more here, you’ll just loose muscle mass. Prioritize your NEAT! 12000 steps a day should be a must. Cardio isn’t mandatory to loose weight (I’d recommend it at one point tho for health reasons)
- as other people said: prioritize protein intake. Make your meals more nutrient rich by having protein, carbs and healthy fats in every meal
- Mini cut. Cut for 12 weeks max. Work your calories up towards your maintenance. Then go for a lean bulk (surplus of maybe 200-400 cals). Prioritize strength, progressive overload and muscle failure

That’s about it. The last pounds of body fat are the hardest to loose! Stay consistent, don’t loose your patience and don’t loose your love for food

@growingchristian16 For example, when you gain 1kg, 700g muscle and 300g fat, and then lose 1kg, 700g fat and 300g muscle, it’s a success. Basically, your choice is either gain both or lose both. What matters is the ratio.

When creating deficit, PFC balance can be either P3:F1:C6 (low fat) or P3:F6:C1 (low carb). Usually we need either fat or carbs, otherwise protein and/or muscle are consumed as a energy source.

@growingchristian16 I won't get into the calculators because I don't really understand them myself, I do impedance scans.

But if you're losing weight you're losing fat AND losing muscle

If you're gaining weight you are gaining fat AND gaining muscle.

Training, diet and general activity can improve the ratios. I've been losing a lot of weight recently and my ratio has been about 1lb of muscle for every 14lbs of fat because of a high protein diet and weight training.

But ultimately, you will see fat gains when on a bulk and muscles losses on a cut. Obviously your calculation are incorrect and you need to be eating less if you're gaining significant fat.

As far as diet is concerned, just cover all of your bases and eat less than you need. Be careful not to hurt yourself if you're hungry and you should be fine.

@growingchristian16 The only real way to fix this issue is with steroid use. Some people may disagree or not understand, but that's the truth; you likely aren't going to look the way you want to naturally

Back