Can’t do a single pushup

(25M) I’m looking to get more fit. In my entire life, I’ve never been able to do a single pushup. I can’t do a single knee pushup either.

I’ve tried the usual progression from wall pushups (which I can easily do) to incline pushups over the past few months. While if the incline is nearly vertical I can do a few, I can’t do a single one as the incline gets closer to 45 degrees. This is even after consistent practice, several times a week for months. I just don’t seem to be improving at all.

Any tips from here? Are my muscles just permanently atrophied and untrainable?

@fjdajfkldajkbfejfnsiqn This sounds like a medical issue. You mention chronic fatigue, no progress after months of consistent training, a whole slew of prior medications… there is something else going on here. If you aren’t getting answers from the doctors you have seen so far, keep looking. If your primary care physician isn’t getting anywhere in their workup for this, see if they can send you to a neurologist and/or rheumatologist for additional investigation.

@fjdajfkldajkbfejfnsiqn Reps do in fact not matter that much. If it wasnt challenging and you couldve done, say, 40 reps then your 10 reps would not stimulate any sort of progression.
You should rather look at it in terms of intensity. It your 10 reps are all easy, even the very last one, either do more reps or lower the incline.

@fjdajfkldajkbfejfnsiqn I’m older than you and I have this problem for years. Amazingly I’ve slowly gotten better over the past few months by doing hypertrophy training. Specifically, chest presses, chest flies, skull crushers, tricep kickbacks. Just really basic exercises, working my way from lifting 10-25 lbs over the past two months. I’m still not able to do a full off the knee push-up with perfect form, but I have gotten so much closer lately than I’ve ever been.

Stick with the basics and improve your overall weightlifting fitness and you will get there

@fjdajfkldajkbfejfnsiqn Sleep is important, I agree with the others who suggested to focus on that. What do you do instead of sleeping at night? If you're watching screens when it's dark outside, the blue light is known to mess with your body's circadian rhythm. Try a week of screens off and lights dimmed at sundown, and get outside so you have bright sunlight on your skin in the morning after its time to be awake.

I like listening to audio books when I'm in bed, the routine helps me sleep more often than not. If you find a narrator distracting, try rainfall sounds, ocean sounds, or sleep music playlists.

Back