Can You Build Muscle Effectively Using Calisthenics or Bodyweight Alone? A Look at the Science Surrounding Low-Load Resistance Training

@lucie_tsao Yes 100% high rep sets are brutal and aren’t as good for strength development. It’s much more fun and mentally easier to squat with heavier load like 6 rep sets maximum. And you still get as much hypertrophy as another rep range. That said, like you said callisthenics also has very cool strength skills that are more about total body control than lifting weight. E.g. skinning the cat, human flag, etc.

I was into callisthenics but mentally it wasn’t worth it, I’d just dread working out so much, and I didn’t feel much stronger. My squat and bench barely increased after months of callisthenics. I did get decently bigger tho but progress was also slow. I prefer weights 1000%. Callisthenics is more of its own art/sport. If you’re into the movements and the freestyle or the static holds then do callisthenics. For strength/athletic development/bodybuilding then lifting weights combined with sprinting, plyometrics, and ballistics is much better

@liamdude5 Some people want scientific studies to know if something works. They dont want to look at just Olympic Gymnasts, Prison inmates, Martial Artists or Indian Wrestlers.

@a8alphamale And some people like me like to read.....both!

Especially on public social forums where the point is to.... discuss things...

But as he said, downvote away full grown adult, maybe you will get what you want and make his neutrally toned anecdote disappear from view 🤷‍♂️

@gewineda One of them isn't reading???

Btw, I don't downvote unless I think it's propaganda or bots/shills. So I won't downvote you.

I'm not trying to get his view disappeared.

Fitness is full of anecdotes and science is always behind in trying to figure out why certain things work.

@lucie_tsao High reps greatly increase injury risk. Repetitive motion injury is to be avoided.

We don't like to hear this, but lower weights lifted super slowly enables a far lower number of reps to get to failure. Add in static holds. Time Under Load's nothing new; comes from Arthur Jones, Mike Mentzer, Ken Hutchins. Modern adherents include Drew Baye, P. D. Mangan, Matt Schifferle, Steve Maxwell. Reading Doug McGuff's excellent Body By Science is the best start to orient yourself and go from there. Here on the subreddit, /@jermyn is the exemplar to follow.

Exercising so efficiently greatly reduces the amount of time you have to spend on it for the same results.

@anakonda Time under load, time under tension, high intensity training; you're right nothing new. The claims of amazing super efficient training that is supposedly as good or better than all these mainstream high volume programs that are so dangerous and tiring and impossible to recover from and yet... What do actually the majority kf jacked, strong and successful lifters use? What do actual studies show? Not great results for King TUT or super slow or any of those. On the other hand, Volume of hard sets and effort show great correlation with results.

How many steps do you walk a day? Are you afraid of repetitive motion injury there?

@fsaan Bodybuilders, Olympians etc. don't have much relevance, though useful for promoting dreams. I'd agree with you that if you want to be Arnold, then train like Arnold. Good luck with that. :)

Most redditors here, particularly the older ones, aren't actually looking to become "swole, jacked, ripped, shredded, big, bent" as promoted by fitness sites for commercial reasons--to young men wanting to attract babes. Very few will ever achieve that status, and if so, out of vanity, will burn out by age 30 and accept the dad bod.

Vanity isn't a strong enough motivator for the long haul. Fitness with health is, however, as it takes up SO much less time and lessens the injury potential. P. D. Mangan's in plenty good shape at 67--yet does only 30 min sessions 2x a week. Hence his 170k followers on Twitter.

Me, I take casual walks on the beach, in soft sand, a few times a week for the sun. Sun, steak and steel, ha ha. Cardio, I do 6 intervals of 30 sec each per week for a total of--only 2 1/2 minutes. I may not even need that, since I exercise intensely. So, no, not afraid in the least. Meanwhile my V02 max falls in the Superior category. Yours?

Oh, but there ARE studies, never mentioned by fitness sites. I'll mention three; you can google up more for yourself, obviously never having read anything. Body By Science, P. D. Mangan's books, Martin Gibala's One Minute Workout, among others, refer to numerous studies.

However, muscular performance gains may be greater when using HIT.

A comparison of low volume 'high-intensity-training' and high volume traditional resistance training methods on muscular performance, body composition, and subjective assess of training

One-minute high-intensity exercise (3 x 20 sec), 3x a week for 12 weeks, improved fitness as much as did 3 x 45 minutes a week aerobic training.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154075

Yep, studies of high intensity training show sufficiently impressive results, combined with real world examples like Mike Mentzer, Dorian Yates, and P. D. Mangan suggest the new paradigm has considerable credibility.

Been working great for me, don't miss a bit all that frantic pumpin' and sitting around "resting" between sets. Or walking 45 min on the treadmill. Seems kinda laughable to now when I see it in the gym. I think back to all the time I wasted on such at the expense of my joints. Now I'm outta there quickly; but I've suffered, unlike the pumpers. HIT is a lot harder.

@anakonda Body impedance measurements, some real great evidence you got there.

Dorian Yates didn't use the slow tempos you advocate, neither does it seem Mike Mentzer. Also I'm sure they are very representative of the average person despite their pharmaceutical enhancements.

The rest, well it's just the usual cringe edgy patronizing talk every HIT fanatic gives me. Keep it to fitness not the sand on your beach.

You wanna do less, do less but don't be like this about it

@lucie_tsao Absolutely. I had a six pack abs most of my life and didn't lift weights. I did cardio and calisthenics. 100 sit ups, 3 dif ways, does amazing stuff. Push ups, amazing for the arms, back and abs. Running, great for the legs an abs and glutes. Squats, lunges, great for the legs. Adding weights just bulks up the muscle more, a bit, in my opinion.