Concept Wednesday - The Minimalist Routine

So I sat down and said, look, I am going to propose something very funny. From all the tricks of Jujitsu I learned, say, most of them are worth nothing. If I am going to hit you with a knife, what would you do? Put your hand up? Therefore, this is the point to begin.

INTERVIEW WITH MOSHE – The Extraordinary Story of How Moshe Feldenkrais Came to Study Judo

^ This is a thrilling read (albeit a little embarrassing, as an Englishman).

@davecb Is this relevant here (or perhaps a future concept subject)?:

Monkey Fighting / Zen Archery / Touch butt, etc. Similar to my other comment, it's also about finding faults, rediscovering 'natural' movement patterns.

See video:

@davecb A couple critiques: for people generally not very active I recommend a body line routine because it strengthens core for desk jockies so they can build balance muscles and not hurt themselves starting with lunges!

Someone out of shape your target audience is going to read this and say ok I'll try. They'll start doing lunges because that's the first thing listed, they'll hurt themselves and be even worse off.

Then you have no plan and directly make an argument against progressions. Fine... but not until the person is strong enough to progress into HIIT safely first.

HIIT accomplishes your health and time requirements much more effectively than this proposal.

@dawn16
for people generally not very active I recommend a body line routine because it strengthens core for desk jockies

Why is this important? I think I may have already addressed this in the post.

Someone out of shape your target audience is going to read this and say ok I'll try. They'll start doing lunges because that's the first thing listed, they'll hurt themselves and be even worse off.

Firstly, you're assuming the target audience. People who are motivated to do a minimalist routine come from a much broader segment than you think and aren't all as unfit as you think.

There was also recommendation around how to progress to full lunges in the post.

And finally, one can't write a super simple routine without simply cutting out some segment of the population. That's fine. It isn't meant for everyone. If they want a personalised routine, they should get a personal trainer.

Then you have no plan and directly make an argument against progressions.

Uh? No? Read again?

HIIT accomplishes your health and time requirements much more effectively than this proposal.

Evidence? I've shown you mine, now show me yours?

@davecb Is the warmup for this the same as the RR or would you just jump right into the circuits?

I only asked this because when trying to develop a similar routine for my parents, pieces of the warmup where they lacked mobility were an issue, but these 4 primary movements would have been fine. Seemed somewhat counterintuitive, but to start, I had them do less mobility and just focus on the main movements.

@forhim4ever Minimal workout, minimal warm-up. I'd feel pretty safe with about 95% of people doing these movements without any sort of warm up. A bit of a brisk walk should be warm up enough if one feels it's warranted.

@davecb I feel better reading this. As a middle-aged, sedentary, newbie looking to build a habit, I've started an extremely pared-down RR. My intention is to fill out the pieces over time to be a proper RR over time, but my initial goal was simply to not break the habit of 3x per week over the course of a few months, while having measurable progress (or at least lack of regress). Having a superminimal time commitment is helping me towards the habit goal. I installed rings in my house and so I (currently) need no more than 10 minutes three days per week, just before my morning shower: no changing, no driving to the gym, no overhead beyond putting the rings back out of the way so that the laundry machine isn't obstructed.

So I'm balancing push (push-ups, now close push-ups on rings) with pull (rows on rings). And I'm doing bodyweight squats. I'm missing the L-sits, so I'm doing a mini-circuit of the three. With the addition of the third exercise, there's basically no rest between exercises, though I'm not pushing myself. The point is, that by the time I get back to an muscle, it has rested.

My next step was to add the bodyline drills, but probably on alternate days, so that I was spending 10 minutes (most) every day instead of every other day. I've already started gentle experimentation with the static holds skill work, and will formalize that properly at some point. I'll add the L-sits after that, I reckon. I'll add the vertical pull-push pair when my horizontal pair is ready (pull is lagging behind push, as is probably true for many dabblers).

I felt safe: I pace myself so I never feel like I risking injury. But I was concerned that I was blasting ahead to the strength exercises without either stretching or warm-ups. I'm reassured to hear that someone estimates my chances at 95% of being okay. I will add the stretching and warm-ups as well, I just want to keep the habit locked down as a priority.

The other thing I got from this discussion was the possible advantages of lunges over squats. I had been doing 3x8 step-ups each side, but I regressed to 3x16 squats because my balance sucks and my knees seemed at risk. (The step-ups were thus more dynamic and less controlled, and I was either cheating with my back leg or feeling stress on my forward knee. I can do the squats slowly with few risky knee feelings.) But I can see that lunges can help with balance, which is another subgoal. And I can see that they can be done slowly.

TL;DR: Good to know that for a minimal habit-building routine, minimal warm-up is needed.

@davecb A question about walking though. It's often said that jogging/steady cardio isn't good on a daily basis, because it makes your body acustomed to the effort and doesnt produce much more effect. If i walk two hours a day, will my body be used to it and stop burning much fat? Should i do it from time to time and walk less somedays? Or is it as healthy as people say, to do it on a daily basis? Good read :)

@reddydebby The walking isn't for burning calories. Walking efficiency is good, not bad, in regards to health.

For continued stimulation with your walking, walk on varied terrains, and varied inclines.

@davecb What's the point of aimless resistance training? If someone's goal is to just be healthy and active, cardio plus good diet should suffice. The whole point of resistance training is to achieve specific goals like muscular endurance or strength or skills or whatever.

@pamala Well, I've included a couple of sources that go into detail, but cardio exercise alone does not as pronounced an effect on battling sarcopenia, osteoporosis, and decreased joint ROM which can diminish the ability to complete ADLs. Preserving metabolically active muscle tissue also has long term implications for hormone sensitivity, preferentially partitioning nutrients to muscle rather than fat.

Some people also just enjoy something like a small circuit rather than traditional cardiovascular training, which is ultimately my recommendation; do something you enjoy enough to continue doing. Although a little bit of resistance training can make you a more resilient to the rigours of aging and life. Best to do both in my opinion.

@davecb An idea for a concept thread: Longevity. What lifestyles promote healthy ageing? It's interesting seeing Steve Maxwell criticise Ido/streetworkouts. Perhaps there are valid criticisms of bwf culture.

@dawn16
  • Rows x ~1-2 reps short of failure - Here's like 5 ways to get your row on with minimal equipment. If you can't find one, you'll enjoy my next post: "Glenohumeral Instability, Capsule Laxity, Shoulder Pain, Weakness, Bad Posture and YOU!"

Pulling things down from overhead or yourself up i.e. vertically, is a bit different from pulling things from in front of you, or pulling yourself forwards i.e horizontally. The muscles used are quite different.

Pull ups are a great exercise, but if you could only do one pulling exercise, rows are much better for the long term health of your shoulder joint.

The linked post goes into different ways to do these with limited equipment, which I assume is why you're asking to do pull ups instead.

@davecb I really needed this. I felt so lost and thought I eventually had to pay someone or something or do tons of research. It was already done here and being off of sports for so long I felt no purpose. This tauhght me that I don't really "need" one in a way. Thanks