Data showing that +70% weighted chinup = OAC

@jermyn Right! I did up to a 1.84 x BW weighted pull-up and I doubt I can do a OAC. IN 2019 I hope to get closer to 1.9 x BW so we'll see ...

That's at 154-160lbs BW.

@johm Nope. Never was on my list of goals and unless I condition the elbow and tendons for it I would not want to risk injury in a strength test which would set me back on other skills and training.

I guess I could do an assisted OAC with a counterweight or a towel/rope like I've seen others so I do not have too much stress on one arm. Would be interesting...

@bibbigo I think it's interesting that you've never tried! Your a beast at pulling and everyone seems to love the OAC. That's great discipline though.

@johm Someday ... maybe I'll try next year. I haven't tried heavy weighted pull-ups in a while - i.e. over 120lbs/55.5kg. After a hiatus and training, I hope to smash my weighted pull-up PR of +128lbs by end of 2019!

Focusing on training for the rest of 2019, and have an idea to get my iron cross and planche by end of 2020 (maybe). Although, iron cross could be dropped in favor of a proper victorian on the rings ... dunno yet.

@bibbigo I’ve seen people get it pretty nicely around 1.9 bw but I think they still needed some eccentrics and stuff to finish the process up. Maybe around then, you can test it if you want to see. But I totally understand not wanting to as well.

@dawn16 This is a great idea. Questions I suggest:
  • Body weight
  • How much weight/type (chinup or pullup) for a single 2-arm rep.
  • How weight/reps/type for your "best" set (a small number of reps like 3 at a high weight)
  • Can you do OAC?
  • If you do pulley-assist/machine assistance/one-arm lat pulldown, how much assistance is your best single?
  • If you do weighted OAC, how much can you add?
Most of these questions are for error correction. Instead of asking people to convert themselves, we convert when analyzing later.

@jesusisafriend I think you should at least very broadly quantify if they have even trained the OAC. I can't do it myself, but from what I have seen the motion is a little bit different from what a standard pullup looks like, so there might very well exist a certain skill element. Do we really expect that once you get to 70%, you just walk up to the nearest bar and do that OAC? It seems like a more reasonable hypothesis would be that once you hit that 70%, you got the necessary strength so you will be able to learn the OAC in a reasonable amount of time. Right now, somebody that just didn't bother to attempt the OAC will say that he can't OAC, but it doesn't say anything about him being capable of doing it.

@sps3rvn Definitely!

I guess the questions on the survey about OAC progressions were pretty useful then. I would just change "Do you train for the OAC?" from this survey to "Which of the following have you tried?"

There are a couple of other threads on this topic where a number of people responded if anyone cares to gather more data.

Also, I weigh 66.1 kg and have 1RMed 48.6 = 73.5% before, but cannot do an OAC (despite practice). In fact, while I last did a 1RM in March, I estimate that I could now do 84.0%. Unfortunately the survey was only open for 1 day and I missed it.

@jesusisafriend When I weighed 65 kilos, I could do one rep of chin up with 60 kg between my legs. I was miles away from a OAC, though, could only get a few inches up from start position. It is interesting, though, to see the correlation (or lack thereof), between exercises like these.

Back