Height: 5’4”

Weight: 174 lbs. at 7/21 and 170 lbs. today

Body fat percentage: 37.7% at 7/21 and 36.4% today

Lean mass (bone + muscle): 108.6 lbs. at 7/21 and 108.1 lbs. today

Bone density T-score: 1.7 at 7/21 and 1.6 today

A/G ratio: 0.91 at 7/21 and 0.92 today

Visceral fat: 0.92 lbs at 7/21 and 0.92 today

Thoughts

I was a little disappointed to see that, while my body fat percentage has gone down, not only did I not gain any muscle, I actually lost about half a pound. The change in bone density is minimal and within margin of error, so I'm not concerned about that. The slight increase in visceral fat is not great, either, but is likely caused by stress from the CPA exam.

I'm currently taking a break from the deficit/reverse dieting, so hopefully I'll be able to put on some muscle by the end of the year. I also switched from more general strength training to powerlifting with more purposeful progressive overload, which should help as well. I do two heavy days and two accessory days, though the past couple weeks I've only made 3 of 4 workouts.

I currently eat 135 grams of protein per day with flexible carbs and fat. Five days per week I'm between 1800 and 1900 calories; two days per week I'm between 2300 and 2400 calories. I know this would be a cut for many people, but it's not for me at the moment. Clearly, my metabolism needs a break from the deficit.

I'll get another scan done sometime early 2019.

ETA: This wasn't clear from my original post, but I am not currently aiming to lose weight. I am aware that my calories are maintenance. That is the goal so I can focus on building muscle and strength. My plan, which Sohee Lee agrees with, is to take a break from eating at a deficit for a few months and then go back into a cut in early 2019.

@godislove19933 I too am 5'4. 140 lbs. Your listed calories would be a bulk for me...
I cut on about 16-1800 calories.

Sedatary job and gym 4 times a week.

You simply may not have been at a large enough of a deficit.

Progressive overload is a must to gain muscle.

@1fish I had been eating 16-1800 calories on average until about a week and a half ago. According to the TDEE spreadsheet (been using it since May), my TDEE is between 1800 and 1900. I'm sure I would have lost more and more consistently if I'd eaten less, but right now I'd prefer to work on gaining some muscle and increasing my TDEE, so I can go back into a cut without having to go too low.

@godislove19933 What is your goal? Is it to reduce your body fat percentage significantly? I would say the numbers here make perfect sense. The average between 1900 x 5 and 2400 x 5 (assuming the worst of your estimate) means just slightly under your maintenance.

Clearly, my metabolism needs a break from the deficit.

I'm going to argue the opposite unfortunately.

If your goal is to lose fat (making a huge assumption and say you just want to reduce down to a healthier weight), I wouldn't say your metabolism needs a "break". I'd argue that you have to just get those numbers lower if your intention is to lose body fat percentage. 4lbs since late July is a slow loss rate and your listed numbers are not aggressive enough for many women in their mid 30s at 170lbs.

Sure, it sucks that you lost a bit of muscle but you will always lose muscle with fat.

@chrisb76 Sorry I wasn't clear, but I'm aware that I'm eating at maintenance. I'm doing so on purpose and with the blessing of a sports nutritionist. I lost four pounds in three months eating on average 200 calories per day less than what I stated in the post and only went up to maintenance a week and a half ago.

Also, my goal right now is to build more muscle and gain strength. I plan on returning to focusing on fat loss in early 2019.

Back