Dexa scan results for me, a 5'6", 183 lb 35-year-old weightlifter. Spoilers: 39.1% body fat

@dawn16 Definitely, but what I personally also needed was something scientific saying, "yes you are at an unhealthy weight, and here's what a healthy weight would be", instead of just someone's opinion.

@jamestucker Absolutely! I would love to get a DEXA scan. Also, the images are so cool. It is insane what medical technology can do.

Just curious; Do you think you will measure your progress by getting another dexa? Or do you have another method in mind?

@dawn16 I'll probably weigh myself once a week (I've been lifting for long enough that I doubt I'll be gaining any muscle) and then get another scan in October or November. I bought a package of 2 (buy one get one half off!) and I have a year to use the second one.

Plus, like /@jay2242 said, that gives me a nice intermediate goal/checkpoint that's timeboxed.

@jamestucker I've had a dexa scan too, and it was quite the eye opener. (Edit: in March I was) at 30% body fat, 5'4", 72kg, 50kg lean / 22kg fat. I'm looking at your lifts and thinking, why aren't mine that good when we have the same muscle mass?

I, like you, can't imagine what I'd need to do to get down to my recommended weight. If I lift six days a week, if I can run 10km, is there really a problem?

@adalia89 Genetics probably. My family are all very strong (my brother can squat over 400lb), and that's one of the reasons I've stuck with lifting, I think. I try not to be demoralized by the skinny college boys at my gym who bench my squat for a warmup.

And yeah, that was why it was so hard to put in the work for weight loss: I'm healthy and strong, what's the problem? I bet it would be even harder if the number had been 30%; it wouldn't be as black and white.

@jamestucker As a female close to your body dimensions and also close to your lifts, thank you for posting this! I always think that the DEX scans are really spiffy, and you pushed me one step closer to getting one.

@jamestucker It seems like body fat percentages as discussed on the internet are nonsense. My BF is at 31% but my BMI is only 21. Everywhere seems to say that my BF is waaay too high, but I work out and eat well, so it can't be. I'm confused :(

@freefromfeet24 That's the realm of skinny fat, which is why it's still unhealthy. I obviously have no idea what you do or eat, but high bf% but normal weight is usually that case. Also, I'm assuming you got that done by reliable means haha

@jamestucker Thanks for posting all this, makes me want to get a scan. Just keep it up, you'll do great!

One thing though, a large can of tuna a day would be a really high amount of mercury. Just something to think about....

@armmot I'm not planning to have children and it's the chunk lite tuna, which is lower, but good point. I have canned chicken that's basically the same macros that I can change it up with (though it doesn't taste as good). I'll figure something out.

@calledoutone Costco has canned chicken that has about the same macros, it's a bit more expensive though and has a weird metallic taste that is hard to mask. I'll try the canned salmon; I think Costco has it as well.

The tuna calculator said I can have 2 of the 7oz cans a week, so that's two weekday meals taken care of. I can probably do canned chicken or salmon for the other three. Costco has canned beef that I really like, but the macros aren't the same so I'll have to do some math.

I really love Costco.

@jamestucker I was just about to recommend Costco's canned chicken! That + a little mayo + Mrs. Dash is amazing. Sometimes I add some celery or diced red onion for some crunch.

If you want healthy fish that's cheaper than salmon, I like tinned kippers (smoked fish). Portable, tasty, and the smaller fish have less mercury.