DEXA Scans August 2019 / May 2022 / January 2024 Progress: 33, 5’5”, 140 to 160 to 137 lbs, 32.9% BF

deju357

Searching this sub for previous DEXA scans was very insightful so I figured I would share mines!

Dexa Scan 1/6/2024 with previous measure scans:
Things to note: I am Asian/Mixed. Body pics are in gym/swim/underwear (NSFW)

Some background: In my teens and 20s I felt I was pretty active person. I had done dance growing up and often did workouts such as yoga and Pilates and HIIT and would workout 3-5x a week. I also lived in a city that allowed me to walk 10k steps a day.

Pre DEXA 2017 Body Pic (~120 lbs):
Dexa Scan #1 (August 2019) - 140 lbs

I took my first DEXA scan after two months of travel where my weight had gone from 135lbs to about 140lbs after eating delicious food and walking around quite a bit. My goal at the time was to get back to my previous weight of 135lbs which I was able to do quickly within a month.

August 2019 Body Pic:
Dexa Scan #2 (May 2022) - 159 lbs

When 2020 and the pandemic hit, I sustained three really bad sprains over the course of two years that limited my ability to exercise. This combined with a more sedentary lifestyle with WFH my weight increased to about 160lbs and stayed there through the end of 2022. I took my second DEXA scan in May 2022.

My eating habits around this time wasn't great. I ate my feelings during the pandemic and ate takeout way more often than home cooked meals.

May 2022 Body Pic:
Dexa Scan #3 (January 2024) - 137 lbs

Beginning of 2023 I was 160lbs and made it my goal to get back in shape. First I just made a goal to go for daily walks. Then that goal progressed to minimum 10k steps a day. By May I was walking about 6-7 miles a day, 3-5x a week. I lost 15 lbs from this alone. I was wary about intense exercising due to the injuries previously sustained.

I began incorporating Pilates weekly around April and after a couple months started to work my way up to 3x a week. Fastforward to October, I incorporated Aerial (hoop), ballet, and spin classes in my week. I would have one or two rest days a week as need. From October to now, doing all of that I have lost another 8lbs bringing me to 137lbs. In total, I lost 23 lbs in the year.I am happy to see from the DEXA scan results I lost minimal lean tissue (

@deju357 Congratulations!! This is so inspiring to see the changes over years - I put off my last dexa scan, but now I want to re-do it.

For the muscle imbalances, did they say the next steps? I’m sure my knees being messed up will mean a muscle imbalance

@rubinaask They didn’t provide any verbal feedback! The imbalance in my legs is due to my right leg having scar tissue that interferes with muscle growth from a surgery from when I was young. You can see the scar in some of the pictures.

@deju357 i would up the protein to 1g/lb of bodyweight. LISS can actually be better than high intensity cardio for weight loss so no issues there, but if you want to preserve lean body mass as you continue losing weight, you should incorporate some form of strength training.

@deju357 Wow impressive!! Thank you for sharing as well - what’s your current age? Age differences also matter I think in body composition. This has made me curious as to what my own DEXA scan results would be!

@deju357 You look great! Congratulations! This was interesting and an inspiring and intelligent transformation story. Thank you for your bravery and honesty. Best wishes.

Back