Dr T Colin Campbell says we need lot less protein

@kab00m An average sized male who is not super lean or fat is 77kg. 0.8 *77 = 62 grams of protein. If that average sized male eats 2400 calories, then 10 percent of calories from protein is 60 grams. It seems nobody debating protein can do basic math.

Protein bros want to round up 1.6 grams per kg to 1 gram per pound. 1.6 grams per kg is actually equal to 0.72 grams per pound. That rounding increases the "necessary" protein by 40%.

Another very interesting study is this one, where they fed one group a crossaint, and two other groups eggs after a morning workout. The group that at the Croissant had 75% of the muscle building, despite the croissant having only 5 grams of protein. So we see from this that resistance training is by far the biggest stimulus for building muscle, despite the fact that more protein does seem to be better, up to a point.

There are also arguments that excess protein is bad for long term health. I think these arguments are fairly weak, however, the arguments for excess protein are even weaker. So if you are hedging your bets on health, I would aim for 1 gram per kg.

@613jono Lol did I tell u I love your username? Haha!

Anyways, new studies show protein intake is correlated to osteopenia so this whole thing about eating protein for muscle is mislead to say the least. As you probably know mTOR and the rest of the anabolic pathways desensitize quickly and when this happens continually osteopenia presents. I've been developing a new way to build muscle and keep it deep into old age by cycling through high protein with lots of resistance exercise, mid protein with endurance exercise and very little protein (

@kab00m 0.6-0.8g per pound is optimal for those doing resistance training.

1g per pound may be optimal for those cutting.

You can go lower, but, that would be for the general population instead.

Back