Dr. Gregor says not to consume over 25 grams of soy protein per day. What are your thoughts?

@ichthymom I hate watching videos for information so I did a google search, which led to this page: https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/how-much-soy-is-too-much/

In that he says that eating too much soy protein could lead to higher levels of the hormone IGF-1 levels (Insulin-like Growth Factor 1). High levels of this hormone are associated with several cancers, included breast cancer and prostate cancer. Meat/egg/dairy eaters wind up with higher IGF-1 levels, but plant-based diets it tends to be less of a concern.

He states:

"Five to ten servings per day increased IGF-1 levels, but two to three servings did not."

Based on google searches for studies there appears to be debate still, but many studies did show a rise with higher soy consumption.

According to google the standard servings are:
  • 1/3 cup of tofu
  • 1 cup soy milk
So you could do a cup of tofu or 3 cups of soy milk before potentially seeing IGF-1 levels rise.

As long as you're not getting all your protein from soy you probably aren't eating more than that currently.

@cdlara381 For my tofu, and most other firm tofu blocks I've seen, a serving is usually 85g. That comes out to 1/4 of the tofu block, though block sizes varies so that might not be so helpful.

How many grams of protein that gives will depend on the firmness of the tofu, with the firmer giving considerably more protein than softer tofu.

The kind I eat is extra firm and gives 14g of protein per serving, whereas the same brand sells a soft tofu which only gives 4.5g of protein for the same serving size.

OP says Dr Gregor advised no more than 25g of soy protein per day, so that would be around 3 servings of medium firmness tofu.

@cdlara381 From what I have read, soy is the only plant-based protein that creates any concerns in studies about the IGF-1 rates. I can't find why exactly this is, but mentions here and there indicate that it's due to the soy protein structure resembling animal protein structure more than other plants.